timing diagram

Hi my name is richard oneill and i have currently just started a course in plcs but am having trouble understanding the timing diagram as it wasnt explanied to me in the college.would you have any information that would help me understand it step by step this would be of great benefit to me.

There are all sorts of timing diagrams. Post a picture of the one you don't understand, and people here will try to help you to understand it.

If it's the concept of a timing diagram you don't understand, a timing diagram is nothing more than a depiction of events in their temporal sequence.

Timing diagrams are simply a graphical format showing what occurs when.
Generally, you will often find examples of timing diagrams in the PLC help files for timers for many brands of PLC.
You can also use them for setting up your programming specification before cutting your code.

Timing diagram can also be a "pin chart". If you have a sequencer set up in a PLC, you can cross to your pin chart to see what is actuated in a particular step or mode. Each step, in automatic, has a preset "time". Sequencers/pin charts are very common for say a CIP system, where you have several different cycles.

Greg