To replace Siemens CPU315 2DP with CPU317 2DP

frikkie

I need to replace a Siemens CPU315 2DP with a CPU317 2DP, but it comes up with error: "CPU too wide". Physically the CPU is wider. How can I overcome this problem.

???
I dont think that it is the error message that you see.
The CPU in an S7-300 "rack" occupies "slot" 2 regardless of the physical width.
Maybe it says that the CPU is too different or something to that awail.
If that is the case, the meaning of the message is that you cannot drag-and-drop the 317 CPU onto the 315 CPU in the existing hardware configuration - this would retain program blocks and CPU properties.
You may have to manually configure a similar rack, adjust the CPU properties manually, and then copy the blocks and symbol table from the old to the new project.

Sometimes you can directly swap them in the hardware configuration if they are not too different. If they are too different it will give you an error message. The message should say "Slot is occupied, module is too wide, or the functionality of the inserted module is not transferable to the new module."

You can still change it, you just have to do it different.
Select the 315 processor and just delete it.
The program will ask if you wish to "delete module CPU 315 which belongs to the program , ........" Click No so that everything in the Blocks folder will be saved. If you click Yes, all the programs in the blocks folder will be deleted and you will loose anything in there forever.

The processor will be removed, now you can add the 317 in slot 2. Compile the changes and close the hardware configuration.

When you look at the SIMATIC manager again you'll have a station object with the new 317 and an S7 program folder hanging off of the project. The projects blocks are in that S7 program folder, the one under the station object for the 317 is empty. Copy the blocks from the S7 program folder into the Blocks folder of the station object with the 317 and you should be set to go. (Don't copy the system data, just the blocks)

I have done this below:

You can still change it, you just have to do it different.
Select the 315 processor and just delete it.
The program will ask if you wish to "delete module CPU 315 which belongs to the program , ........" Click No so that everything in the Blocks folder will be saved. If you click Yes, all the programs in the blocks folder will be deleted and you will loose anything in there forever.

The processor will be removed, now you can add the 317 in slot 2. Compile the changes and close the hardware configuration.

When you look at the SIMATIC manager again you'll have a station object with the new 317 and an S7 program folder hanging off of the project. The projects blocks are in that S7 program folder, the one under the station object for the 317 is empty. Copy the blocks from the S7 program folder into the Blocks folder of the station object with the 317 and you should be set to go. (Don't copy the system data, just the blocks)

But now the CPU is not connected to the four drives by Profi-Bus as before, kindly advise

If there is a DP master system that is present but not connected to anything in the hw config:

If you have not yet set the DP port as master then open the properties of the DP port in question and set it to be connected to the orphaned master system. A dialog will pop up and ask you if you want to assign the orphaned slaves to the CPU as master.

If you have already setup the DP port as master, but havent assigned the DP slaves, then rightclick on the DP port and select "Add Master System".