to use SLC-100 or MicroLogix 1500

I think this is one weird program, because it uses dummy rungs that serve as indicators and not to perform actions, all outputs are re-used (double, triple, and quad-ruple coils) in many subroutines and in the main, so that it is hard to tell which Sub is actually in control of any one output at any particular time. Because the subroutines are activated and de-activated by timers, and the timers are inside the subroutines, it seems that once a sub is deactivated, that its timer will be frozen at whatever state it was in - hopefully with the DN bit enabled.

For example, in Sub 4, Run 0001, you have both an XIO and XIC in series for Timer T4:1/EN. I don't think the Outputs of this rung can ever be enabled like this. Did you mean for the first XIO to be for T4:0/EN instead? On the other hand, this routine shows up in all of the "COOL-30" subroutines, so it must be intentional. This is probably a "dummy" rung that is being used to indicate which output is being turned on in some other subroutine.

It is a cascade of all the timers, one timer starting the next. If power blinks, all active subroutine timers will reset to 0. It might be better to use RTO timers, so the cycle could be continued or restarted, if there is some problem after 3 days. Unless you have a RECOVER routine, it seems that the entire one-week cycle will be lost if the power or PLC blinks off for a 1/4 second - as it is now.

Well this is my first program. The cool down subs with all 5 outputs and impossible scenario was just to make sure the outputs were off (Sub 4) when the main ladder called those subs. Not sure that was needed (I didn't get around to testing if they were needed or not).

The last 5 rungs in the main ladder was only there for me to watch the outputs energize in one spot while running in the emulator. Those rungs could only ever be true when the output was energized somewhere else, like in one of the subs. Originally I was hoping they would only allow one output to be energized at a time...but that simply doesn't work with the way it scans.

I was thinking if power dropped, everything would reset and start over anyways? I could just throw an UPS unit on it to keep it a float, I even have one laying around. I'm not sure if it even matters though about completing the entire week cycle, it was never specified to keep track of that. The PLC only routes power through different temp controllers per each mode. I only keep track of the cycles and hours that the temp controllers call for each of the 2 controlled parts of the unit.

I ran the cycle for quite some time in the PLC, it does work :)

I was thinking if power dropped, everything would reset and start over anyways?
No, not if you use Retentive Timers (RTO type). The Accumulated (ACC) value stays where it was at power loss, then resumes at power on or PLC program going into RUN mode again. You must do a Reset to set a RTO timer back to 0.
I only keep track of the cycles and hours that the temp controllers call for each of the 2 controlled parts of the unit.
It was probably okay to lose the week's data during a power outage. In some cases, it would not be acceptable to lose that much information and start over.

PS: Congratulations on your first successful program!
_

RTO Timer Instruction Description.jpg

Last edited:
Ah see I didn't know about the RTO timer, I've since switched everything over to it. Where did that info graphic come from?

Ah see I didn't know about the RTO timer,...
When moving from the idealistic world of a student, and a novice, up to the real world, you will find that ignornance of your equipment is an excuse that often falls on deaf ears. What you should do when you have a spare minute, is start in the RSLogix Instruction Set Help file with "ABL" and work your way up to "XPY", reading and studying each instruction, so that you will never have to say again, "but I didn't know about that one!"

Last edited:
I would not recommend conditional subroutines. If they are not scanned, whatever is in them will stay that way outputs on or outputs off.

I agree, however there is one exception to this when it comes to SLC-100 program conversions. The SLC100 had a ZCL instruction. If your SLC100 program used the ZCL instruction then the way to handle it in a Micrologix is to use a conditional subroutine and place the code between the ZCL pairs inside the subroutine and call it conditionally with the same logic used on the first ZCL rung.

See Rockwell KB technote "18983 - Converting a SLC 100/150 program that uses the ZCL Instruction to a current Processor platform"

I think I want to get the USB key thing so I can move back and forth between desktop and laptop. Does anyone know the part # and cost?

If both computers always have a network connection and you have concurrent licenses , you can set up a FactoryTalk Activation server up on your network and you can easily share you licenses between multiple computers. Note that you can only run a copy of the software for each license you own at the same time, but you can run it from as many PCs as you want.

Be careful in choosing your Micrologix-1000 if you want to use the free versions of RSLogix. The free version of Loigx500 only supports the 6input/4out DC version of the Micrologix-1000. .

I think the free version supports all Micro 1000's and is not limited like the old version was

500piuhsrafiuh.jpg

If both computers always have a network connection and you have concurrent licenses , you can set up a FactoryTalk Activation server up on your network and you can easily share you licenses between multiple computers. Note that you can only run a copy of the software for each license you own at the same time, but you can run it from as many PCs as you want.

I could totally do the network style, I thought I had to change my license type for that though?

I just scored a 1500 LRP for project 2 too.