Total Control Quick Panel to GE Quick Panel

ebolbol

I have stumbled around the WWW looking for answers and have made some progress but hit a road block. I know nothing about either of these products.

The panel on the left(model shown below pic), which talks to a GE Fanuc 90-30 PLC took a dump.

All we have for replacement is the panel on the right.(model shown below pic)

We have GE Proficy Machine Edition 9.0.

I was able to create a blank project and download to new GE panel on the right.

I was also able to restore the old *.SwxCF project file for the old failed panel.

I don't want to re-write the whole project. How can I download the entire project into the new panel. The old project's target is setup for serial com and a different monitor.

I guess the question is how can I make the old project function in the new panel.

Any help would be appreciated.

20171103_143200.jpg

Yes, but you will have to check items and possibly add items.

You should be able to change the model in the project from the old to the new.

Check the driver after you have changed the model.

The old model stored any passwords in the project. The new model only stores them in the panel itself.
If you have passwords, you will need to add items to let users enter the password and other items to edit/add users.

I don't know the resolutions of your two models. There may be sizing changes if there are resolution differences.

You will have to check the physical wiring for any necessary changes.

There may be a document on the GE support site for better details on the differences.

There is an article inside Machine Edition about converting from a QuickPanel to a QuickPanel View.

I found it by using the Index and a keyword of QuickPanel.
The title is "Converting QuickPanel applications to QuickPanel View/Control targets".

The article links to other articles. Enjoy reading and good luck!

Yes, but you will have to check items and possibly add items.

You should be able to change the model in the project from the old to the new.

Check the driver after you have changed the model.

The old model stored any passwords in the project. The new model only stores them in the panel itself.
If you have passwords, you will need to add items to let users enter the password and other items to edit/add users.

I don't know the resolutions of your two models. There may be sizing changes if there are resolution differences.

You will have to check the physical wiring for any necessary changes.

There may be a document on the GE support site for better details on the differences.

There is an article inside Machine Edition about converting from a QuickPanel to a QuickPanel View.

The title is "Converting QuickPanel applications to QuickPanel View/Control targets".

dYoast,

Thank you so much for your help. I think I tried to change the panel type in the old project, but I think the the drop down did not offer models that matched the new panel. I will try again. Maybe I was missing something. What determines what the panel drop down options will offer when the project is being setup? I'll try again.

dYoast,

I read the article you mentioned and did the conversion but ran into more blocks. It generates 53 errors mostly variable related.

Do you have any wisdom to offer as to what it wants from me?

Error.jpg

The old Total Control Quick Panels and their Quick Designer software had their own way of setting up addressing. "MB" means %M memory, Boolean. "RI" means %R memory, integer.
Instead of MBxxx, use %Mxxx. Instead of RIyyy, use %Ryyy.

Looks like Proface has a better hardware/software transition from QuickPanels than GE. Which makes sense since Proface manufactured the original QuickPanels. I was always curious what GE's conversion process was like, now I see.

The old Total Control Quick Panels and their Quick Designer software had their own way of setting up addressing. "MB" means %M memory, Boolean. "RI" means %R memory, integer.
Instead of MBxxx, use %Mxxx. Instead of RIyyy, use %Ryyy.

Hi guys,

Little progress and another snag. The invalid address on the variables was caused by the first image inline below. It was expecting a modbus address. One I changed the Native Driver to GE SNP the errors went away on verification.

now I have a screen resolution problem. Eventhough in my Target I have the exact panel selected to download to, I have an example of how the panels appear on the QuickPanel View. It only displays the upper left hand corner. Any idea why this is happening?

Target.jpg Panel.jpg

Attachments

• Drivers.bmp
    110.4 KB · Views: 13
The Quick Panel Jr had a screen resolution of 320 x 240. It looks like you somehow managed to convert it to screens of 640 x 480.
The properties inspector you posted is for the Quick Panel View target. Please show the properties inspector of one of your graphical panels (screens). I expect that will show 640 x 480 resolution. If that is not the case, open Control Panel on the Quick Panel and check the display resolution.

The Quick Panel Jr had a screen resolution of 320 x 240. It looks like you somehow managed to convert it to screens of 640 x 480.
The properties inspector you posted is for the Quick Panel View target. Please show the properties inspector of one of your graphical panels (screens). I expect that will show 640 x 480 resolution. If that is not the case, open Control Panel on the Quick Panel and check the display resolution.

Thanks for your response Steve. Here it is.

Panel_res.jpg

That confirms what I said. It's also why the width and height are shown in yellow to warn you that the screen size exceeds the size of the target to which you are going to download it. Are you sure you converted the Quick Panel Jr target? Could you have converted from a Quick Panel model with 640 x 480 resolution?
If that's all you have to work with, you're going to have to reduce the size of all of the objects on every page.

There is a setting that may help.

Click the Options tab, then open the properties for Editors\Panel\Preferences.
Change "Scale on Resolution Change" to True.
You may also need to change "Maintain Ration on Resolution Change" to True.

Unfortunately, you would have to start your conversion over for this to possibly work.

That confirms what I said. It's also why the width and height are shown in yellow to warn you that the screen size exceeds the size of the target to which you are going to download it. Are you sure you converted the Quick Panel Jr target? Could you have converted from a Quick Panel model with 640 x 480 resolution?
If that's all you have to work with, you're going to have to reduce the size of all of the objects on every page.

There is a setting that may help.

Click the Options tab, then open the properties for Editors\Panel\Preferences.
Change "Scale on Resolution Change" to True.
You may also need to change "Maintain Ration on Resolution Change" to True.

Unfortunately, you would have to start your conversion over for this to possibly work.

Thank you to both. If I did something wrong during the initial conversion, I have absolutely no problem with deleting this project and starting from square 1. As long as I know not to repeat my mistake.

From what I remember. I first restored the old *.SwxCF file to Proficy 9.0

I opened the newly restored project and right clicked on the Target and selected Convert to QuickPanel View.

Then I was able to select the model exactly as it appears on the QuickPanel label.

What did I miss? What do I have to do prior to all that?