Traffic Light using Compare Inst.

I'm actually most concerned about the ones WITH inductive loops. Since I've spent a good part of my commute sitting at these lights, I've had plenty of time to 'ponder' how they function... :(

One intersection in particular is VERY poorly timed. It has loop sensors what ARE functional, because the 'delayed green' DOES realize that a vehicle is present. If I reach the intersection just as the light turns red, it takes a full SIX MINUTES to change back to green!... banghead

It knows I'm there, and there are loop sensors (proven functional as well) on the cross traffic lanes, which (at my 'wee hours of the morning' commute) haven't seen amything ferrous go by during the entire 6 minutes I've been there. Although, some poor fellow usually shows up to get stuck at the cross traffic red while I have the green. He doesn't have to wait long because he gets the green as soon as I cross, but if I was allowed to cross a few minutes earlier (when there was NO ONE around), he wouldn't have gotten the red light... :rolleyes:

This intersection is on the outlet for the local newspaper distribution hub, so there's always a few delivery trucks sitting there with me. During the summer months, I've chatted with these drivers while we sit at the this red light. They said they've complained about this intersection, but the state insists that the lights are properly programmed.

And another thing... This intersection is 3 lanes wide, and the pedestrian crossing flashes "Don't Walk" for 24 seconds. The intersection at the next block is SEVEN lanes wide, yet the "Don't Walk" only flashes for 18 seconds. I guess the people move quicker there?... :D

I wish I had a wireless link to the traffic light controller. I'm pretty sure I could correct the program during the time I'm sitting there... ;)

beerchug

-Eric