Transferring RSLogix

BrettL

Hi, I am wondering about transferring RS Logix 500 & 5000, as well as Rslinx to a new laptop. The one I currently use in the field is ancient. I would like to upgrade this laptop. I anyone knows the process for transferring the licenses/ installing on new laptop. I would really appreciate it.

BrettL

If the licenses are handled through the FactoryTalk Activation Manager (FTAM), and you have the license numbers & product keys, then the process of transferring the license is usually pretty straightforward.
On the old laptop:
1. Connect to the internet and open FTAM
2. Go to 'Rehost Activations', select the licenses in question, then 'Continue Rehosting' and any further confirmation screens.
The licenses are now returned to Rockwell's server
On the new laptop:
1. Connect to the internet and open FTAM
2. Go to 'Get New Activations', enter the Serial # and Product Key, then 'Validate Activations'.

iirc there is a place to enter a version number for 5000; I don't remember the details and they've changed it around at least once, but iirc you enter the oldest version you expect to install.

If you have issues, activation support from Rockwell is free so give them a call.

If your license predates FTAM, it'll get more complicated and I've never dealt with it so I can't help you there.

As far as installing, just run the installers and deal with any issues as they come up. Some people say install newest revisions of 5000 first, some say oldest.

If you need installers, with serial # and product key you can download them off Rockwell's site, although unless you have Tech Connect you can only get revision #s up through when the license was sold.

Note that if you are using RSLinx Classic Lite, it will not have or need a license.

+1 plvlce.

If your licenses used master disk activation, you will need to talk to Rockwell, probably via your local distributor, to have them migrated to the new license system, especially if you need newer versions of the software.