Transition from AB to Omron

. Timer and Counters share memory. Can't just search for a timer to know if the address if free since it could be used by a counter.

This is true of the older PLCs only. The CS1, CJ1 and CP1 have dedicated timer and counter areas. I believe there are 4096 timers and 4096 counters available in all PLCs. If you run out you can always roll your own with the @INC function as well.

These latest PLCs also have a 'W' area - similar to 'M' in most PLCXs - work area.

If you ever come across the APR function just be really careful - it can be used for many things. I use it regularly for performing a linear approximation on a table - most useful with fuel tanks etc but it also has other functions. Have not seen it in any other PLCs.

Modbus RTU is also very easy. All the latest serial comms cards for the CJ and CS have Modbus slave built in - just go online and define where you want to put the words, the slave number, baud rate etc and write to that memory area in your progam.

Modbus RTU master is done with a standard, freely available protocol macro or via serial link which you also set up directly in the serial card. Bit different from a few years ago I can tell you, basic processor card, write your own in basic, wonderful.

This is true of the older PLCs only. The CS1, CJ1 and CP1 have dedicated timer and counter areas. I believe there are 4096 timers and 4096 counters available in all PLCs. If you run out you can always roll your own with the @INC function as well.

Yeah, we use alot of NSJ's now which have separate memory areas but we still have plenty of C1000's and C200's to deal with.

I went the other way. The plant I started in was all Omron and Mitsubishi, then I came here to a plant that is all AB. CX Programmer is very user friendly and whenever I got stuck their tech support was extremely helpful.

The NO/NC bits is something I never thought of. Kind of clunky but it gets around not having Test Edits. To carry this further, you can use multiple NO/NC bits and turn on/off different edits. Something AB can't even do.

Thanks for the idea.
Jerry

So your saying AB can't use the on off bit ? The fair comparison would be , both can use the clunky work around and AB has a smooth online edit test edit undo in addition to this which negates the need to do the work around unless you have several pieces of code in different locations to edit.

I would add that the fact remains the AB job is gone, so what ever they have at the nw paycheck I would be happy to learn. If it is really bad , I would just think back to when I had to troubleshoot an old AB2 with console ..........3 rungs at a time.....in a foundry, at 140degF on the floor..........with lots of noise and moving equipment and 20000 lb blocks of steel moving over head on a mag crane with no UPS..........

Anyway, after using a bunch of PLCs, I have found they are all similar and different and they all do the same thing in the end. Only Siemens is so different as to cause serious headaches.