Triac Output Card

eight_bools

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good Afternoon,

I am having issues with a triac output card and a solid state relay. The output is showing 120vac without a load, and when connecting to the A1 terminal of the solid state relay it is causing it to energize.

My solution so far is to add another mechanical relay with a coil in between. Is there another way to do this? I have heard of people using resistors in the past but that seems like it was with DC instead of AC. The vendors machine is looking for a 120v input and my machine only has 120v triac output.

Any advice?

triac outputs are electronic semi conductors. with no load on them, they will have power to the output. you need a loading resistor that pulls enough current on the device to turn the output off. look at the data sheet of the card to see where the loading thresh hold is to turn the device off and add a little more as insurance. NOTE - make everyone aware of the triac outputs, when the loading resistor is removed, the output will turn on and it will bite you. You should use interposing relays to your customers machine to avoid special wiring colors and additional safeguards. keep the load resistors also.
james

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of solid state device leakage current. The resistor thing is definitely for triac outputs. You just need to make sure you find a resistor that will not cook itself when the output is really on and the terminal stays at 120V. In a past life I carried around a small bag of 5k Ohm 5 watt resistors for just such an occurrence.

Keith

Welcome to the world of solid state device leakage current. The resistor thing is definitely for triac outputs. You just need to make sure you find a resistor that will not cook itself when the output is really on and the terminal stays at 120V. In a past life I carried around a small bag of 5k Ohm 5 watt resistors for just such an occurrence.

Keith

I've never used a resistor on anything except communication cables, does the resistor go in series with the load or does it connect to neutral similar to in DC applications.

Thanks