Trouble uploading program from Festo PLC to laptop

Capo

Hi,

I have to make a modification the program in a Festo PLC at my work. Now I've already worked in the past with AB, OMRON, Schneider PLCS in the past so I was guessing it would be similiar but it seems Festo makes it complicated for nothing from some reviews I've read about people having worked with Festo PLCs in the past.

Now I've connected the serial cable and have the Festo PLC program on my laptop but when trying to just upload the program that is presently in the controller to my laptop, it gives me a message saying something like 'Controller does not store source file' or something similar. Does anybody know what's the problem when getting such a message? Thank you.

Original programmer has not downloaded program source to plc. You cant get the program from plc if there is no sources for it.

So what would I have to do to be able to modify the program?

So the controller is running the program but doesn't have the program source in the plc. First time I hear something of that sort..

I need to find the source program outside the controller to then redownload it to the plc?

I've found the original program (several files in one folder) but don't even understand how to open it with the Festo program. Everytime I use the 'open' function in the program it gives me a list of programs but without any directory.

I have found the program but would like to open it with the Festo program as to modify it and download it in the PLC. How do I do such a simple thing because when trying to open a file it gives me no directories whatsoever.

Man is this PLC brand ****..

The Festo can be compared to a software program. Without the source you can't change it. It's a compiled program.

On opening the program.
Now this is where the Festo sucks.
You need to zip the folder the program is in.
Then use the Project > Restore function to extract it again. This step is to let the Festo software know the PLC prgram exists. It doesn't have a search function like any other sensible application.

After restoring the program you can now access it.

If AB was made intuitive, this is the exact opposite.