two peripherals to SLC500 (DH-485 port)

unsaint33

Hi, I have 1747-L30A Allen Bradley PLC. It has only one DH-485 port. Whenever I have to connect a laptop to the PLC for troubleshooting, I have to disconnect HMI from it.

Can I connect a HMI and laptop simultaneously to SLC500 (DH-485 port) using a J45 splitter, like the picture shown below?

splitter.jpg

I feel with you on that, but sorry - Ken's right.

A stamping press I worked on a couple weeks ago has 3 SLC racks in the control panel with a Panelview HMI - all DH-485 with 3 communication adapters. The main rack is a 5/04 and the other 2 racks are both 5/02's. There is no messaging between the racks - all hard wired IO between, all the DH-485 is for the HMI.

To connect to one of the PLC's the cable is unplugged from it and the HMI goes offline whenever it loses 1 of the 3.

EDIT: Same problem working on Mitsubishi's, PC or HMI.

Never saw a DH485 splitter or I would be carrying one around with me.

(deep breath)

Ethernet "splitters" are of limited utility even when using Ethernet. When used in pairs (one at either end) they allow you to use a single 8-conductor cable to carry two 4-conductor Fast Ethernet links. They do not function like a 2-port switch or hub.

To plug more than one device into a DH485 port on an SLC-5/0x controller, you properly need an isolator or two. Ideally, two 1747-AIC isolators, or a 1761-NET-AIC isolator/RS-232 converter.

"What would happen if I tried anyway" ?

Neither device would connect to the SLC-5/03 properly.

The DH485 port on the SLC-5/03 controller pinout is:

1 Data B
2 Data A
3 +24V DC
4 Signal Ground
5 Tx-Enable
6 Earth Ground (Shield)
7 Signal Ground
8 +24V DC

An Ethernet Splitter is generally:

Output Pin 1 - Interface 2, Pin 1
Output Pin 2 - Interface 2, Pin 2
Output Pin 3 - Interface 2, Pin 3
Output Pin 4 - Interface 1, Pin 2
Output Pin 5 - Interface 1, Pin 1
Output Pin 6 - Interface 1, Pin 6
Output Pin 7 - Interface 2, Pin 3
Output Pin 8 - Interface 1, Pin 6

A device plugged into interface port 2 of the splitter would get Pins 1 and 2 (Data A and B) connected correctly, but not Pin 4 or Pin 7 (Signal Ground), so it couldn't connect. It would get Pin 3 at +24V, which wouldn't hurt it because it expected that voltage and because it's not connected to Signal Ground.

A device plugged into interface port 1 would get +24V (pin 8) onto what it expected to be Signal Ground (pin 6), and would probably crowbar the SLC-5/03 power supply or smoke the port.

Ethsplitter.PNG

Last edited:
what you can do is get a 1747-aic coupler and connect that way.
it will need its own power source. you will also need 1 or 2 cables.
sorry i can't be of much help past that, it's been to long since i did that.
regards,
james

I suppose it would be more helpful to post an example of what *will* work rather than what won't.

The way to do this with all legacy DH485 equipment is with two 1747-AIC isolators They have a "trunk" port you connect with a twisted pair (actually 3 conductors), and modular ports for "CPU" and "Peripheral".

You will need some A-B proprietary cables: 1747-C10, -C11, or C20. The only difference is the length.

"Why did A-B use that weird AMP connector as well as RJ45 and have separate peripheral and CPU ports on the 1747-AIC" is a question that was answerable in Cleveland in 1986 but I'm not sure I can address now. The good news is that this sort of cable and equipment is extremely durable and available cheaply on the aftermarket.

DH485_Multiplug.png