Typical programmer wages?

Just for reference

Just got a call from a Head Hunter today. Looking for someone that provide turn key applications. Design panel and wiring, provide loop drawings etc... Program plc, and HMI/SCADA....

Experienced with RSLogix, RSView, and Intellution, locatation Springfield, IL, salary 65K.

Ken Moore said:
Just got a call from a Head Hunter today. Looking for someone that provide turn key applications. Design panel and wiring, provide loop drawings etc... Program plc, and HMI/SCADA....

Experienced with RSLogix, RSView, and Intellution, locatation Springfield, IL, salary 65K.

I keep hearing about SCADA I am going to have to get educated on this i think.... seems to be the big thing out there now

BoxerBrats said:
I keep hearing about SCADA I am going to have to get educated on this i think.... seems to be the big thing out there now

Actually I see a lot less of it now than I did 15 years ago. May be the industry I'm connected with (manufacturing). I remember trying to force Intellution's FIX and IBM's Plantworks into monitoring a car body weld line for time studies (blocked and starved) and it was kind of like forcing a square peg into a round hole. I'm sure things have gotten better and I believe its very popular in the process industry.

Rube,

You probably work in a fairly new facility. Clean floor, moderate noise level, maybe even air conditioned. Your pay is just below middle management and WAY above those young women on the line (no speake the English). Shoot, you may even get paid vacations, health benefits and a 401K.

$20+/hr, unfortunately is pretty good in our neck of the woods.
Just enough to buy a tank of $2.17 gasoline.

I saw a job requiring experience on conveyor lines near Alliance for $36/hr. Required PLC skills I don't have.

My last job - complete re-building CNC big iron lathes was a ridiculous $16.5/hr - I'm embarassed to say I was willing to take it. What I took with me was decent knowledge of Fanuc ladder logic (Anyone need a 21iT ladder for a Mori Seiki Slant8?)

Gotta love it, I guess.

Rod (The CNC dude)

Rod said:
Rube,

You probably work in a fairly new facility. Clean floor, moderate noise level, maybe even air conditioned. Shoot, you may even get paid vacations, health benefits and a 401K.

$20+/hr, unfortunately is pretty good in our neck of the woods.
Just enough to buy a tank of $2.17 gasoline.

I saw a job requiring experience on conveyor lines near Alliance for $36/hr. Required PLC skills I don't have.

1. How did you know?

2. WHERE?!?!

I work in Alliance now--it'd be nice to know who's getting paid that much so close to home.

Last edited:
Rube,

How?:
I work around here too :) I did some work for the Nokia line in your area - vacuum electro-flashing the front shells on cell phones. I know the area.

Where?:
It was over a year ago, and I suspected it would be a flash-in-the-pan job. Suck you in - work ya to death. When it's all done - Bye-Bye.
I don't remember, but it wasn't UPS, some smaller company. Just up the street from you - ya know

Regards,

Rod (The CNC Dude)

That Springfield job sounds like one that has been advertised since late 2003, which actually is located near St. Louis. there is a recruiter in SPFD that list all their jobs as in SPFD, and many/most are out of state.

SPFD is about 120 miles south of me. Printers and sign painters do big business there every four years, right before and after elections.

A little update...
I am now the "Automation Engineer"
I'm now responsible for the day to day operations and functions of 20 or so PLCs...Management has left my wage where it was ($11.xx) and has said that they will keep me there to "see how things work out"
I've also been asked to have my PERSONAL cell phone on me at all times incase something in either plants goes wrong. I feel this is bogus and I should be able to keep my PERSONAL cell phone anywhere I want it because they do not pay my bill.
Bottom line:
Sick of the managers. This place is so top heavy its not even funny. Every other person on the shop floor is a manager or a big wig or some kind..
Elevmike: Can we setup an interview? :ROFLMAO: