Ul 508a

stylemismatch

Does anyone have a rough idea what the cost is to get an individual control panel inspected per UL 508A? This is a requirement which is in the customer's specs, so we probably can't go through any agency other than UL.

thanks

Does anyone have a rough idea what the cost is to get an individual control panel inspected per UL 508A? This is a requirement which is in the customer's specs, so we probably can't go through any agency other than UL.

thanks
Assuming you are not a UL508A listed shop, you have two choices:
1) take it to a UL508A listed shop and have them evaluate and list it, but be prepared for them to make changes they see fit, because it will be THEIR neck on the line, and they didn't make the money building it.
2) call for a UL Field Evaluation. The last time I did that, over a decade ago, it cost me $21,000. I have since heard they have become much more reasonable, and besides, for less than $20k you can BECOME a UL508A listed panel shop! I just called a friend who had a Field Evaluation done here more recently, he said it cost him just under $2k, but the UL office is less than 30 miles away. They charge for travel costs, so some of that will depend on how close you are to a UL office. Looks like there are 30 offices in the US, but not all of them do FEs. The one in Marietta GA appears to be an environmental lab, so you will likely have to pay for someone to come down from RTP in N. Carolina.

http://ul.com/aboutul/locations/
http://services.ul.com/service/field-evaluation/

I could be wrong but I believe the UL location in Marietta does do this. Quite a few years ago I worked at a place that became a UL listed panel shop and as I recall the UL inspector came from the Marietta location.

In any case thanks for the information.

I should have mentioned, if you are regularly building panels, you might consider using this listing as part of the process of getting a 508A certification. It likely will not cost much more.