Changes for UL508a panels to export to EU

Tip DS

Is there anyone that can give me the run-down on differences that are required for control panels sold in European markets, compared to those for the US market?

I realize US panels are built according to UL508a and NFPA, where EU panels are according to the 'harmonized standards', but I'm looking for the differences in requirements, like "You have to use green wire with yellow trace for all ground wires, instead of just green."

I think the key standard is EN60204-1.
I googled "difference UL508A and EN60204-1" and "difference NFPA and EN60204-1".
A couple of hits:
https://www.designworldonline.com/4-tips-building-electrical-equipment-north-american-standards/
https://www.intertek.com/knowledge-education/comparing-nfpa-79-and-iec-en-60204-1-wp/ (you need to register)

edit: The focus of the 2 links is bringing machinery from the EU to the US, not the other way around. It will be difficult to find something going the other way.

When you import a machine into the EU, it must follow the socalled machinery directive (download). Some of the requirements are:
Adherance to harmonized standards (most important are EN60204-1 and EN12100).
A risk assessment must be made, following the EHSR recommendations of the directive.
An "EU declaration of conformance" must be made, signed by a responsible person of the manufacturer (owner or CEO !) and be included with the machine documentation.

It can be daunting for the 1st time !
It is the importer that has the responsibility that this happens (he who brings the machine into the market in the EU). But the importer will probably just ask you as machine builder to do it.

A simple cheat sheet will be hard to find. If you do I would like to have it too !

Last edited:
What a coincidence.

Now, the below comes with a huge disclaimer, that I take no responsibility, I cannot guarantee how correct it is. The info is from another person and I am not an expert at all in UL508A.

I have just talked with a colleague that has some experience with exporting from EU to US, and generally all electrical equipment that follows UL508A will have a greater rating and/or be more conservatively dimensioned than if the same equipment was made according to EN60204-1. So you are good to go as far as the electrical design is concerned.
Machines that are to be exported from the EU to the US on the other hand, will typically need design changes to upgrade to conform with UL508A.

You still need to do the risk assessment, EU Declaration of Conformity, make sure that all components are CE marked. But you should not need to adapt your electrical design.