Unable to communicate with PVP+ 1000 serial DF1

LowRange

We have an HMI that when an application is loaded the HMI it asks if you want to change the terminal configuration settings to match the applications configuration settings yes/no. If yes is pressed the terminal will no longer communicate with the PLC and the fix is to go back into the terminals Networks and Communication tab and set auto-configure from false back to true. Re auto-configuring the terminal is normally the remedy to this problem but something has gone a bit wrong today.

Tonight I discovered that this HMI is again not communicating with the PLC. Assuming the usual I go into the Networks and Communications settings to set auto-configure to True and then run the application only to discover that it still will not communicate. After a bit of troubleshooting, here is where I am at.

What I have:

PVP+ 1000 2711P-T10C4A1 and an SLC 5/04 talking through RS232.

What I can do:

I can communicate with the PLC through RSlinx on RS232

I can run the application on the laptop with 'test application' and communicate with the PLC

What I can't do:

I can't communicate between the HMI and PLC

I can't see the HMI in Factorytalk ME

I can't auto-configure (fails) a DF1 driver in RSlinx when connected to the HMI through RS232

Your application project doesn't have the proper settings set up in it. When it asks you this it is getting it from the project. U can transfer projects with the USB stick as well

I still don't understand why the HMI and PLC cannot communicate. They were and then they stopped. I don't have a spare pass through RS232 so I'd have to borrow one off another production line to troubleshoot the cable. I'm off to borrow a cable I suppose.

I have a few panelviews talking serial DF1 to the processor. I never use the autoconfiguration setup and I always manually configure everything through the manual configuration on the communications tab in FactoryTalk View ME. I also will ensure that I do not copy the config across from design to runtime, rather I will manually configure the design tab as well. I have found this setup to be a bit hit and miss, but the more regimented I am in this setup, the more success I have had in setting up the comms.