unable to set IP address via RS Linx Classic lite on 5069-L306ER

adrianedelen

I have a fresh out of the box 5069-L306ER connected to power only.

I am unable to set the IP address of the plc through USB OR ethernet using RS Linx Classic Lite.

the device shows up in RS Linx but when I right click the device, select Module Configuration, then the Port Configuration tab, a message displays stating "Unable to read the module's Port Configuration. The default values will be shown"

If a select OK the message box closes and I am left with the port configuration tab displaying all zeros for the ip address, subnet mask etc.

Changing these values does not appear to do anything.

I have tried doing this with the PLC in PROG, REM, and RUN to no avail.

I have also tried plugging in both the usb and x-over cable, or just one or the other.

on power up the PLC seems to pass the self tests, and proceeds to tell me the mac addresses for each port and well as the link status and "No Project".

The PLC has 2 LEDS lit green, MOD POWER and OK. if i connect an ethernet cable I also get a flashing green light for the appropriate Link indication. and the display read s 1gb/full.

Additionally when I select Module Statistics and then the Connection Manager tab a message box is displayed showing "Encountered an improper Argument"

In RSLinx I am able to see the general tab information about the plc:

Device name: 5069-L306ER/A
Vendor: Allen-Bradley Company
Product Type: 14
Product Code: 196
Revision: 33.012
Serial number: xxxxxxxx

Expected Result: RS Linx properly assigns a static IP address to the PLC to allow communication within Studio 5000 and other devices.

Actual Result: RS Linx displays an error message when selecting the port configuration tab and does not properly store the IP Address.

Any help would be appreciated. I am new to the Allen bradley stuff, so if I missed any troubleshooting steps or quirks of the device please let me know.

Does it give the same message if you try the same thing on one of the "0.0.0.0, 5069-L306ER..." underneath the A1 or A2 Ethernet modules?

Hi, so in your first screenshot, try again but this time select the actual processor shown under the "Backplane" tab. I had this happen before. Also, and sorry if I missed this in your post, did you flash the firmware? Just a couple of things that have bitten me in the past. Hope this helps.

Make sure you are using USB 3.0 interface. I have experienced problems with this PLC's USB interface when connected to legacy USB interface.

Hi, so in your first screenshot, try again but this time select the actual processor shown under the "Backplane" tab. I had this happen before. Also, and sorry if I missed this in your post, did you flash the firmware? Just a couple of things that have bitten me in the past. Hope this helps.

Sorry for the delay,

I tried this and get the same error.

As far as USB 3, I don't think that a type B usb 3 cable will work since they have the extra bump on the top of the connector.

Thank you for the continued assistance.

Additionally I can not open the right click context menu when drilled down to usb/5069/backplane/5069. I can only open the context menu when selecting the icon on the right pane of the window.

Sorry for the delay,

As far as USB 3, I don't think that a type B usb 3 cable will work since they have the extra bump on the top of the connector.
Sorry for not explaining myself properly. I am not talking about the type of USB connector, rather I am talking about the type of USB chipset on the PC's mother board. For example, in newer PCs. there are sometimes USB receptacles that are black inside and others that are blue. These blue ones are usually USB 3 compliant. If you are using a relatively old laptop PC, chances are that it is an older model with USB 2 support. You would need to check the specification of the PC. But the connector is exactly the same.

I can't believe I am suggesting this, but have you tried the infamous BootP utility?
This may be a good idea, because the 5069-L306ERis showing in the USB driver with IP 0.0.0.0 which means it is asking the BOOTP server for an IP address, thus the BootP Utility may allow setting a valid IP address and thus continue working withe the EtherNet/IP driver as opposed to the USB driver which does not seem to work, probably because of the reason I explain in my previous posts.

Last edited:
This may be a good idea, because the 5069-L306ERis showing in the USB driver with IP 0.0.0.0 which means it is asking the BOOTP server for an IP address, thus the BootP Utility may allow setting a valid IP address and thus continue working withe the EtherNet/IP driver as opposed to the USB driver which does not seem to work, probably because of the reason I explain in my previous posts.

So bootp seemed to be the solution.

For anyone in the future who might stumble on this, my solution was the following.

1. Disable every network interface on the PC except for the interface used for the PLC.

2. Disconnect USB from PLC and connect a single ethernet cable on port A1 of the plc to the ethernet port on the PC.

3. start bootp and assign the IP address. I had to attempt this multiple times before it stuck. I used a combination of wireshark and angry IP scanner to verify the IP address was finally assigned.

4. once the IP was assigned, Before cycling power on the PLC (important because I was not able to disable bootp through the utility.) I went online in the studio 5000 project.

5. Once I was able to successfully go online (and I could see the PLC status on the PC) I assigned the IP address through the module properties in studio 5000.

Overall the whole process was super finicky and it seems that you get the best results if you can connect to the plc in a networking vacuum.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestion.

adrianedelen, geat news! I think once you manage to setup an IP address you need to change the IP settings to static configuration, if not, next time the PLC reboots it will need a BootP server to get an IP address.

2022-01-07_RSLinx.png