Understanding CompactLogix Power Supply Requirements

monteran

I have a CompactLogix PLC that I am looking to integrate into a new application. I see that the unit operates by taking power from the +/- 24V DC terminals as well as the +/- FP terminals. I believe the FP terminals are used to power the output pins, etc?

My question is this: For simple testing purposes, is there anything wrong with using a standard lab workbench power supply with +/- 20V DC hooked directly into the screw terminals on the device? I also see that the back of the controller has a metal contact for a DIN rail. I don't have any such setup currently - could I just put in a small cut from a DIN rail I have on hand and connect that with alligator clips to the ground of the power supply I have on hand?

Apologies if these are stupid questions. I'm not much of an electronics guy and he won't be back until next week. Thanks for any guidance.

It's fine to do pretty much what you're describing. I wouldn't even go as far as grounding the back of the controller as long as the power supply is grounded. And try to use 24vdc (is 20v a typo?) for your control power.

Just to be clear as well, the unit operates on +24vdc, not +/- 24vdc. - is neutral/0vdc in this case. Connecting +24 to the + terminal and -24 to the - might make the magic smoke come out.

Last edited:
Grab the doc 1769-um021_-en-p.pdf for exact directions, but in general you are correct. For testing just the PLC, you can hook your DC power supply to the DC terminals on the terminal block.

Thanks for the hints.

I'm glad that you mentioned that the - terminal goes to ground in this case. I kept reading in that manual that you connect the supplies' +24V DC to the 24+ terminal and I assumed that the the 24V- terminal on the PLC meant it wanted -24 from the supply as well.

I've been thinking back to a transistors course I took back in college where we were often using +Vcc -Vee values...