Understanding Modbus/Ethernet gateways

VicZA

Hi All,

Is it possible to have a gateway that can accept two separate MODBUS inputs from a DCS (Emerson Ovation) and provide multiple ETHERNET outputs (as shown in diagram). The reasons and logic for this are as follows:
(a) Primary and Secondary are two separate communication paths for the same data, offering redundancy. If primary fails, secondary takes over
(b) this has to be propagated all the way to the Ethernet device
(c) trying to save on gateways to address large numbers of devices (there are over 300 on this site)

OR ......

Would it have to be done as per Picture #2?

Modbus 1.jpg Modbus 2.jpg

Hi All,

Is it possible to have a gateway that can accept two separate MODBUS inputs from a DCS (Emerson Ovation) and provide multiple ETHERNET outputs (as shown in diagram). The reasons and logic for this are as follows:
(a) Primary and Secondary are two separate communication paths for the same data, offering redundancy. If primary fails, secondary takes over
(b) this has to be propagated all the way to the Ethernet device
(c) trying to save on gateways to address large numbers of devices (there are over 300 on this site)

OR ......

Would it have to be done as per Picture #2?

I am unsure why you even have the gateways in there if the devices are Ethernet and your DCS uses Modbus ?

Which is your master and which is the slave ?

We are using a Red Lion Data Station Plus for a similar job and it is working fine for us. We only have a single installation however so I can't vouch for anything else.

We are using a Red Lion Data Station Plus for a similar job and it is working fine for us. We only have a single installation however so I can't vouch for anything else.

Done several with the Red Lion Data Station Plus also. I think you may need to use a DSP SX for that many connections. You could also msg between PLC's and go through the data station plus with one connection. I'm just not sure how you'd handle your "primary/secondary" scenario but I would think that could be worked out. I rarely use anything else when going from Allen Bradley to Modbus.

Last edited: