Upgrade HMI on SLC5/03 to Panelview +

RoTaTech

I have spent far too much time on this and not got communication working yet.
Equipment: SLC 5/03 1747-L532 series C, Panelview Plus 600 2711PC-T6C20D8, AIC+.

I have tried to do either the most basic set-up: just the SLC and the PV connected, as per the links below - SLC port 0 to PV+ DF1 port.

Factorytalk studio will talk to the PV+ and upload.download over ethernet or USB, but not through serial (Rockwell tech suggest I try that, I couldn't get it to work).

RS500 and RSLinx will talk fine to the SLC over serial to the SLC port 0.

But when load the application to the PV+, I get errors such as this:
Timed out reading N7:1-N7:20 from SLC at station 1 on driver Serial

I use a crossover cable with Linx to go online with the SLC, and a straight-through cable to connect the SLC and PV+.

I suspect I have not properly configured the driver in FTStudio. What I have if I call up the PV+ RSLinx Enterprise Config page, is:
Virtual backplane <no devices>; Ethernet 1 <no devices>; Serial-DF1 SLC5/03 Processor,1 - DH-485 2

I bought the AIC+, as the next step will be to have the SLC Port 1 to the AIC+ 485 phoenix port with a homebrew 1761-CBL-AS03, the PV+ connected to the AIC DB9 (with a straight through cable, I believe), and leave the SLC port 0 open for programming. As yet, my luck with that has been to get all LEDs on the AIC lit - not flashing - just lit steady, which is not listed in the AIC+ manual. Yes, the AIC is connected to external power.

Is it my configuration in Linx Enterprise? I can have 485 or DF1 drivers, but have not seen a write-up and which to use.

Ken Roach - I have been reading your posts to others on this same configuration. Since it looked so straight-forward, we quoted 1/2 day to set up and program (it's a very simple few pushbuttons and alarms for a broach machine), and have been about 3 days so far.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=9521
and
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=66930
and
http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/topic/21107-slc-504-to-pv-600-through-dh-485/

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=86680

http://literature.rockwellautomatio...ing.1st.Level.PanelView.Plus.6.Migration.Path

When I have to work with an SLC-5/03 or MicroLogix and both RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise, I get out a USB/RS232 converter and run RSLinx Classic on that. It's generally easier to reconfigure Classic and its DF1 Full Duplex driver, especially because I only have to deal with it on my development PC.

To troubleshoot the DF1 connection between RSLinx Enterprise and the SLC-5/03:

Be sure that RSLinx Enterprise is set up to use the proper Windows COM port. Most PCs these days don't have a COM1 built in. Does yours ?

If you configure RSLinx Enterprise to use a higher COM port number on your PC and then use the "Copy to Runtime" button, it will carry over that COM port number to the Runtime tab and attempt to use that higher-numbered COM port on the PanelView Plus. Of course, the PanelView Plus just has COM1. So it's good practice to manually configure your serial driver on the Runtime tab.

Use RSLinx Classic to verify the DF1 settings of your SLC-5/03 by establishing a browse, then connect with RSLinx Enterprise and see if you can get a browse.

Even if you do everything right, it often requires a reboot before RSLinx Enterprise can browse the "online data table" folder.

Hi Ken -
I now have the two devices talking - I think it was a combination of my PC com ports giving me grief, the address of the SLC (1 vs. 0), the CRC vs. BCC (I always had to change the Linx Enterprise from its default).

LinxEntBrowse2.jpg

I do have a USB-RS232 on COM1 and my real serial port (on a Dell docking station, not a USB dock) on COM2. But for an hour and several re-boots, I got "com port not available for testing" in Linx, when I was trying to verify my com port. That turned out I had to stop the LinxRNG service, it was starting up and holding my com port, even though FTStudio was not running.

Now - final hurdle - to get the AIC+ in the mix so I can have a serial port available for programming. My thought is to have the AIC Phoenix to SLC CH1, and the AIC DB9 to the PV+. I /can/ get on to the SLC using Linx PIC/AIC driver into the AIC DB9, so my thought is I have to change the PV+ comms to DH485. Am I right?

You are correct that you have to delete the RSLinx Enterprise "Serial DF1" driver and replace it with a "Serial DH485 (including 2711P-RN3, 2711P-RN22C)" driver.

I recommend against attempting to run that driver on your development PC.

Just create it on the Runtime(Target) tab, and manually right-click and "Add Device" to add the SLC processor to the network schema.

When I create small DH485 networks like this, I prefer to leave them to just the devices and do my PC interfacing on a different network or with a different method.

In your case, for example, I doing all of your PV+ program loading with a memory card or USB flash drive. Leave DH485 out of that part of your project.

I thank you, Ken.
I'll be trying the AIC addition when I have my junior programmer here so I can let him try it.
Right now my Win98 PC can program through the AIC DB9, but I don't seem to be able to get the PIC/AIC+ driver working in either my Win7 64 PC, nor its VM of XP SP3.

That driver was last supported in Xp SP2 iirc.
There's a patch for SP3 floating around on the forums created by one of the members but my memory fails me on who...

Today's update: I have the PV+ 600 connected through an AIC+ to the SLC5/03 CH1 DH485.
All tags read FROM the SLC, but any tag I try to write to the SLC results in "Privilege violation writing ?7:1 to SLC at station 2 on driver Serial-D*" (DH485, I would presume it is cutting off)

I had the same application in the PV+ communicating both ways over DF1, so it doesn't indicate any tag problem.

Suggestions, please?