Allen Bradley HMI upgrade

willxfmr

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Everyone,
I'm doing an HMI upgrade from a PanelView 550 to PanelView Plus 600. I have project imported from PB32 to Factory Talk and have done the screen resizing. Just incase anyone else is, or will be doing the same thing, I found that using a custom screen size of 315x250 on the PanelView Plus gave me the closest match to the old 550. I'm sure there is an easier way to get the right size other than the trial and error method I used, but since I'm asking for help, I figured I should offer some too.

The problem I have run into is that the old 550 used the font PV 6X8 with a font size of 5. On the new PV+, this font is too small and ragged looking. I have looked for a way to convert all text to a new font like Arial 10pt., but so far haven't found a way to do all the text in one shot. I'd rather not go through all 30 screen and redo each individual button and text box to. Does anyone know a better, faster, easier way to do this?

Thanks,
Will.

In FactoryTalk View Studio you can Export graphical displays in XML format, then edit them in a text editor. I like Notepad++.

In the project navigator, select Displays, then right-click and select "Import and Export".

This makes it extremely easy to change Font and Size for all the objects in a display just by doing a little search/replace.

It's a little bit of work to export all the files, then do an Import to update each Display, but it's a lot easier and faster than doing it by hand.

Next time I'm in Seattle, or you are in Wisconsin Ken, the beer is on me. 🍻 I can't begin to thank you enough for all the time and trouble you just saved me! Needless to say it worked better than I could have hoped for. I used the "batch import" option and it brought all the displays back into the project in one shot. Thanks again!

Will.

Yes, Notepad++ is a great editor! Did you use the "Find in files" function? That way you can edit all XML files in a folder or multiple folders with one action.
Ctrl+f and go to tab "Find in Files". Perfect for this task!

Notepad++ is 1337!

Create a new document, type a famous persons name (try Albert Einstein), highlight the name, press F1, enjoy...

Last edited:
Toont, thanks for that reminder. I seldom need to do a batch like this but it's good to be reminded about how powerful Notepad++ is.

I'm glad it worked well for this application !

Yes, Notepad++ is a great editor! Did you use the "Find in files" function? That way you can edit all XML files in a folder or multiple folders with one action.
Ctrl+f and go to tab "Find in Files". Perfect for this task!

That is exactly what I did. I opened all the exported screens at once and then did a "replace all in all opened documents".

It just couldn't get easier than that. That is unless Rockwell would add the same function in the new version of Studio 5K. But I'm sure it would require the "executive" version and a special license, and, and, and........