Upgrade Panelview 550

Edit: I just checked PanelBuilder 32 even though it doesn't state PV series 4.10-4.xx should work...

Last edited:
That terminal can very probably be upgraded. Only some early-production PanelView 550 terminals with Series A hardware lacked enough memory to be upgraded, and my recollection is that those had firmware 1.03.

Because it's a pre-v3 terminal, it won't support an "ATA Flash" card, including the most common CompactFlash in a PCMCIA Type II carrier. You would need an old A-B Linear Flash type card, and laptop support for those was uncommon even 20 years ago.

While checking the Knowledgebase I didn't realize that old Linear Flash support was discontinued in hardware years ago (around the time the blue displays were introduced in PV550, maybe 15+ years ago), and in firmware after v4.30.

2711-B5A2 is equipped with DH-485 only, so you will need a 1747-UIC or equivalent to load firmware or application programs.

Last edited:
KuulKuum: my recollection is that PV550 and 900 Series A hardware, that was shipped from the factory with version 1.03 firmware, could only be upgraded as far as 1.07. The boards simply didn't have enough memory to run anything but v1.x firmware.

My recollection is that Series B and later hardware, even if it was shipped with v1.x, could be upgraded to v2, v3, and even v4 firmware.

But that's based on recollections from at least 25 years ago, and I could not find any confirming notes in the Knowledgebase. I'd say any PanelView 550 Series B terminal has already given the user a lengthy service life and should be a candidate for replacement instead of upgrade to support new features.

PanelView did a pretty good job of checking compatibility during download, so the risk of "bricking" a terminal is likely low.

I'll be interested to hear of the results.

Thanks Ken...
It would have been nice if PB32 would actually display the various panel series available in the selection choices.

Two changes in hardware compatibility every 30 years or so is a pretty good record, I figure.

The important changes in functionality and support of datatypes and controller types are delineated in the product selections as firmware revision ranges, like "4.10 - 4.30". The Series letters are usually not important.

It's not perfect, but PanelBuilder32 is also a very mature software package.

Ok so here is where I am at know. I have an old desk top running windows Xp. I installed RSLinx and the panelview firmware update software. The 1747-pic is connected to com 1. I launch RSLinxs and install the 1747-pic driver. with that driver running i can see the panelview and plc in RSLinx. Then I stop the driver and delete it from RSLinx, then reboot the computer. I start the firm wear update software pick comm 1 and the location of the firmware and then download. After about 5 seconds I get a message on the screen telling me to cycle power or reset the panelview. the firmware download will not start. PLEASE Help.

Thanks

Since the 1747-PIC driver works with RSLinx Classic, can you try to select using RSLinx instead of the PanelBuilder native PIC driver ?

firmware update

good evening

I am running windows XP, no service pack upgrades. In order to get the 1747-pic drive to run I changed the computer in device manager from ACIP to Standard, had to reinstall all the drivers. The only way I know to upload the firmware is through the firmware update software or the compact flash memory card, which the memory card will not work. Is there another way to update the firmware.

thanks for the help
jim cav

good evening

I am running windows XP, no service pack upgrades. In order to get the 1747-pic drive to run I changed the computer in device manager from ACIP to Standard, had to reinstall all the drivers. The only way I know to upload the firmware is through the firmware update software or the compact flash memory card, which the memory card will not work. Is there another way to update the firmware.

thanks for the help
jim cav

You could try a 1747-UIC USB/DH485 converter (or equivalent) and the RSLinx driver. If you're working on SLCs and PanelViews with DH485 those are valuable tools.

You're right that these terminals don't support modern ATA Flash memory cards, and modern computers don't support their old Linear Flash memory cards.

Another thing that occurred to me: the PanelView doesn't power the DH485 port itself. You need to have it plugged into both the 1747-PIC and an SLC-500 controller, or a little standalone power supply A-B used to sell, in order to communicate via the DH-485 port. It sounds like you have that set up, because you said you can see both the SLC and the PanelView in RSLinx Classic.

Be sure that whatever PC driver you use has a unique node number that doesn't conflict with the SLC or PanelView itself.

panel view 550

Just an up date. so i was able to get the firmware update to start. when i start the download a message appears on screen "erasing firmware flash memory device. After that i get two errors. 1162 firmware download aborted and 1128 a time out occurred during the download.

Ken the firmware upgrade tool will only allow you to use a real com port 1 and 2. the 1747-uic will not work with the firmware upgrade tool.

Thanks for your help
jim cav