Upgrade RSLOGIX or Buy additional package

jklein

Hi everyone,

History:
I do troubleshooting and repairs for customers, I bought in 2016 RSlogix 5000 standard(300) when I had to edit an existing program on a CompactLogix, after installing the software I discovered that they used ST so I bought the language pack and PID Tuner separately instead of upgrading to RsLogix Full(600) which now I know it would have been almost the same price.

Now, I need to use RSNetworx for DeviceNet. I tried to upgrade to RSLogix Professionnel(700), I believe I should only pay around $2000 or so, but the only upgrade path my distributor offers me is standard to professional for around $4700

So here is the question:
Has anyone had a similar experience and can verify this is the only path?

And before I make the same mistake again and add an additional non
upgradable package, is there anything else usable in the full package that I might need down the road?
Should I buy just RSNetworx for DeviceNet for $1800
Should I buy RSNetworx for Dnet, Enet and Cnet for $2800
Or I should bite the bullet and buy the upgrade for $4700

Thanks

In my experience I have always found when I don't need some option or feature and don't buy it I end up wishing I had got it, or worse, really needing it.

Software, televisions, cars, even VCR's.

If you can budget it buy the best you can.

seems like if I ever come across these I'll wish I did the full upgrade,

PhaseManager $2320
GuardLogix Safety Editor $1470

Its always cheaper to purchase the full package if you an afford it.
It sounds like you don't have a Techconnect contract if you don't that's big mistake. As time goes on you will find that you can't access some projects and then it will cost you big time to pick it up again.
You should be able to get the Devicenet activation by it's self but I expect it will cost you. Once you have the activation you can download the software. But again you will need a contract to do that.
if you just have just one job that you need it for it may be better to sub that one out to somebody that has it