US Daylight Saving Time

bernie_carlton

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Now that the new energy bill has been signed and Daylight Saving Time has a new start and end next year, who will be having to revise programs which had taken it into account?

This is obviously a decision that was not thought through well. Quite akin to Y2K except that this was a voluntary decision.

The local radio station was having a heyday with it. I have a feeling that it might get delayed or recalled once they realize how much work they have thrown down on software engineers.

I think they've made the decision far to quickly. I'm sure that by the time the P.T.A.s have had their say about children going to school in the dark, they'll have a change of heart.
At least i hope so - I got software all over the place that I'd have to think of changing :oops:

Guys,
Can you post info or link to the info what the new start and end of Day Saving time will be next year and thereafter.
Thanks.

PaulB

Am I missing something here?

The supposed point of the change is to 'save power' by pushing back when I turn my lights on at night by one hour, but in order to do this I must leave my lights on one hour later every morning...

Of course this doesn't really apply to me as most of the time I have the lights on in the room I'm in regardless of the light outside.

As for code I'm glad to say I've always left it to the user to move the clock back or forward if they wanted to; now I'm really glad I decided not to automate this!

I kind of like this. I would much rather have the daylight in the evening that in the morning. Plus, I leave in the far east part of my time zone, so the evenings are pretty short as it is.

One thing I've always done in the past with my PLCs is to have the time automatically updated from the server. Every five seconds, it sends me the current time, and I adjust the clock accordingly. Of course, this wouldn't work on a small stand-alone PLC, in which case I just make it simple for the operator to adjust it.

Time......sweet time. :)

I was just starting to plan building a time server for the PLC and optimizer network. This is to keep the time the same on all the puters so the reports are more consistant between machines. Its a pain when the optimizers and PLCs all zero their numbers at different times. The white hats point to the numbers and say hey these dont add up!!. Dealing with overtime shifts that are off and on is crazy enough. :) If Canada follows this insanity Im going to need a crying towel. Its back to the drawing board. Guess I could just use one machine to get the time off the internet, and then update each machine on the local network.. Ill just use GMT. (evil grin :)) and tell the white hats to subtract 7.

Back when I lived in Boomingtown (Bloomington, IL), my son (14-15 at the time) had to be at the bus stop, which was 4-5 blocks away at 5:45 in the morning. School started at 7:00a,, and was out by 2:30pm.

Possibly so the State Farm mothers could have their older kids home to babysit the gradeschoolers.

School Board really didn't have a good reason for it.

Rather then change DST, why not mandate eveyone go/leave to work an hour earlier/later.

Around here, most factory jobs are 12 hour shifts. Offices are going to 10 hours.

I beieve in "Railroad Time". We don't need no stinkin' DST!!!

regards.....casey

Last edited:
I feel for the guys that have data tables with daylight savings time for the next 20 years.
How they gonna go out and change all of those?

I was trying to explain to my wife the difficult of going out in the field and changing all the programs using dates.
She didn't understand.
I don't think Congress does either.:oops:

I was just thinking about this post.

Do I program BOTH versions of daylight savings time into my PLCs, with an automatic roll over? Or, do I build an enable bit into the program in case congress repeals the law?

OH MAN! I'm so confused! :unsure:

The ONLY fiddling with daylight savings time that provides value would be to ELIMINATE it. Thanks to Arizona and parts on Indiana (where people must think more clearly), there is usually a disable option already available for daylight time. Fiddling with daylight time could cost millions (bilions?) of dollars overall. And we just got out of a recession... Is it time to pull my money out of tech stocks, or put it back in? :oops:

Will this delay the next Windows release?

AK