US Daylight Saving Time

I am looking into a position to reprogram old relay panels to operate on the new daylight savings scheme. Some of the relay panels are octal based, some 11 pin round, some 11 pin KUP style, some have industrial relays, and many have a little of everything.

My understanding is that the AB industrial relays will not have to be "changed", unless they have over 4 decks of contacts.

Sounds like there are a lot of relay panels out there, pay is VERY low, but could be a lot of "openings".

regards.....casey

delay the next MS that won't but something else will.

B.G. must be behind this daylight savings somewhere.
Everything up to xp cannot be changed as far as the auto adjust for daylight savings but xp can be updated ..

A way for Billy to get xp on every machine out there.
Drewcrew6

akreel said:
Do I program BOTH versions of daylight savings time into my PLCs, with an automatic roll over? Or, do I build an enable bit into the program in case congress repeals the law?
Use the enable bit scheme, then, after congress decides, e-mail your local congressman to stop in and enable/disable the bit... :rolleyes:

🍻

-Eric

I have to admit government does come up with some damn stupid ideas but this one just takes the cake..

As an electritan i come across many things such as time clocks that use DST..If you change DST but dont change all the electronic time clocks then what can you save? Everything will still run on the old schedule?
Who ever dreamed this one up must have been on some cheap drugs..

Of course our wimpy govenment will have to follow suit..

Perhaps we should all start a revolution!! Hell it worked for us (When i lived in the UK) for Poll Tax!!

Maybe I'm just dense, but I still don't understand the problem.

For one thing, any device that is on a network can be updated with a real clock from the internet or main server. That's a no-brainer.

As for other devices, can't the daylight savings day be adjusted fairly easily? Or was it hard-coded when the machine was installed? What if a machine was built in Georgia and then shipped to Indiana, where there are multiple varaiations of DST? I'm just curious how this was handled.

S7Guy said:

For one thing, any device that is on a network can be updated with a real clock from the internet or main server. That's a no-brainer.

As for other devices, can't the daylight savings day be adjusted fairly easily? Or was it hard-coded when the machine was installed? What if a machine was built in Georgia and then shipped to Indiana, where there are multiple varaiations of DST? I'm just curious how this was handled.

S7..you are right..But first most computers have the adjustment built in..So all the computers have to take an update..Thats easy if they are conected to the internet..But first people like Microsoft have to pay to have the software updated..Then there is the time for IT to update all those puters.. Then there is people like OEM's whos machines arnt networked they will have to go on site..The OEM's dont care they will get paid..the customers will scream becouse of the cost.. Then there is the programmers who no there machines will still be around in 07 when the change comes..so you have to program 2 routines..one for now and one for then..

Then there is the Un-updatable equpitment (like time clocks) that you will have to rip out and replace.. This is BIG BUCKS!!

(BTW i didnt know indiana had different DST??? I know europe and us had different days..)

Just a thought...What about Digital watches that have DST built in?? I guess you have to buy a new watch..?? will the goverment offer a tax credit for this?? :)

Last edited:
Portions ( or all) of Indiana ignore DST. Half the state of MI is west of these portions but are/were an hour ahead. Recently it was voted in to start observing it, I believe next year.

S7Guy said:
The problem is easy enough to fix on most PCs. As long as you're connected to the internet, you can download a patch.

But think of all the OTHER equipment (PLCs, expensive wrist watches, VCRs, wallclocks) that might be smart enough to handle DST, but won't get an update because the transistion to DST is hard coded. Most of that junk will just get landfilled. It's the PLCs (and other controllers) that could cause an interesting hiccup. I'm picturing the accounting departments of some manufacturing companies losing some sleep over it.

If making the change costs anyone a dime or one second of their time, it was a TOTAL waste of money. DST is a dinosaur, BURY IT!

AK

Interesting stuff Bernie. I never knew there was so much to it all. I was also extremely surprised to learn they use such a low frequency for transmitting.

Well, they do say you learn something new every day! Brilliant.

My daughter got an alarm clock for her birthday, and it constantly receives a signal from a satellite to correct the time. You can change the time, set it down on a table, and within a minute it's back to normal. Sort of like my cell phone as I drive through time zones.

MartB said:
I was also extremely surprised to learn they use such a low frequency for transmitting.

The longer the wavelength the longer the range. The Navy's ELF system in MI's UP was "miles" long and was used to talk to submarines that dragged their long antennas (90km or 56 miles) behind them.

Last edited: