USB & 1747-pic / AIC+ Driver

Quote"I Changed PIC for PCMCIA, with this board you have never had the same problem, the only is expensive but is very usefull, compact, also it fits in all new computers."

Unfortunately the new Dell 9400 has dropped the PCMCIA slot as well as the serial.
Regards Alan Case

It it a pain? Yes. But blame Gates and the laptop computer industry. Rockwell is just trying to support an established and installed base of products which would be very expensive for all of their customers to be foreced into upgrading. Could Rockwell do something to make it easier? Possibly. Suppose they came out with a universal adaptor for everything. They could do that. But then someone else would complain about having to spend extra bucks for an adaptor that also supports DH+ just to get the DH485 which is all they need. Instead, they chose a route that allows a user to tailor his toolbox to what he needs. Cable and adaptor management is not really all that difficult.

My suggestion is to make sure everything new you get has an ethernet port on it. ENET has become so common that its not likely to go the way of the RS-232 port for some time - but you never know. Even thats not tangle free. I pack around a couple of straight cables, a couple of cross-overs, a small 4 port switch, and a power adaptor for the swtich. Get used to it.

I suppose AB could upgrade their PLC's and put floppy drives in them!

I just think it would be a wise investment for AB to look into a USB solution that is direct instead of an add on. If you think people are *****ing about it now; wait a year or two when some of your bigger companies have to start upgrading laptops due to failures. It is smaller than the RS232 and not likely to disappear in the near future. (Oh for a crystal ball). To be fair AB is not alone there are several PLC manufacturers that should be looking into this. I just don't feel another add on module is the way to go.

Don

Last edited:
Alaric said:
Suppose they came out with a universal adaptor for everything.

I would buy this as long as it's not as big as the PIC. I'm sure others will too. I'm not saying this would be a replacement for all the other cables but an additional option.

Actually, ethernet is the way to go for PLC's. AB should drop the price of the 5/05. (Is it at 100 megabit yet?) I can't believe the cost of the hardware for it is that much higher than the 5/03.

Shazam ! It's 2007. The ControlLogix L71 and the SLC-5/06 have USB Type A ports on them and use CompactFlash for nonvolatile memory.

Poof ! It's 2017. All USB 4.x ports on laptop PC's are now the adhesive style, and 10 GB nano-SD rods are the standard for memory storage. Fry's doesn't stock CompactFlash even in the aboveground stores and you're reduced to scrounging through Lenovo scrap bins for micro/Type A adapter cables.

Dang Allen-Bradley for choosing such archaic technology ! How am I going to carry all these cables around !

About the cables, you guys aren't really carrying a bag full of cables around are you? 20 years of dealing with those cables and you haven't figured out to make your cables 6" long and carry one extension cable? Those cables must not be bothering your too much

Ken Roach said:
Shazam ! It's 2007. The ControlLogix L71 and the SLC-5/06 have USB Type A ports on them and use CompactFlash for nonvolatile memory.

Poof ! It's 2017. All USB 4.x ports on laptop PC's are now the adhesive style, and 10 GB nano-SD rods are the standard for memory storage. Fry's doesn't stock CompactFlash even in the aboveground stores and you're reduced to scrounging through Lenovo scrap bins for micro/Type A adapter cables.

Dang Allen-Bradley for choosing such archaic technology ! How am I going to carry all these cables around !

The hell with faster computers; We should all just go back to handhelds looking at one rung at a time! Better yet how about relay logic!

Next you'll tell me they don't have any x64 drivers. Just run your computer in AB compatibility mode!

Evolving technology is just part of the business we are in. Yes, in the future AB will probably have to revisit this again. That is if we are still using PLC's 10 years from now.

Companies like AB & Omron have to get on board or be left behind because I guarantee you there is someone right on their heels looking to take their share of the market.

donl517 said:
Companies like AB & Omron have to get on board or be left behind because I guarantee you there is someone right on their heels looking to take their share of the market.
Actually I was thinking the same thing about you. If you sent a machine in that used DH-485 into my plant it wouldn't be allowed in the door. Everything Ethernet. If it has a serial port such as a Micrologix 1200 it better have an adapter on it such as a 1761-NET-ENI.

TWControls said:
Actually I was thinking the same thing about you. If you sent a machine in that used DH-485 into my plant it wouldn't be allowed in the door. Everything Ethernet. If it has a serial port such as a Micrologix 1200 it better have an adapter on it such as a 1761-NET-ENI.

Not my machine, I just got roped into programming changes. Read the post.

Sorry wrong thread.

Look I am not trying to whip the world or make everyone mad. I like this bulletin board and you guys are all very helpful. However, I have been dealing with this for 6 months with other technolgies, not wanting to upgrade, and it is frustrating. AB is and will be a major part of my business and I just hate the thought of running into things like this.

Have a great night!
Don

Last edited:
How long do you plan to use your PLC?

donl517 said:
Companies like AB & Omron have to get on board or be left behind ...

You can buy a Micrologix or Controllogix PLC with modern communication and memory options. Now how long do you plan to use that PLC? How many times during that time will you replace your lap top?

Last edited:
Don... didn't my "shazam!" indicate that I was kidding around ?

My point was that industrial controllers can't grow and migrate as fast as consumer and business electronics can.

My stock answer when folks asked "why doesn't A-B just put a USB port on the controller" has been "we will, just as soon as every bar code reader, weigh scale controller, modem, marquee, and printer has one".

Watch for the new 1756-EN2T and 1756-CN2/B at Automation Fair and check out the USB access ports on them.

TWControls said:
How old is this control panel we are talking about?

I believe the machine was new with last years automotive change over. The only reason, I can find, that they used the DH485 is that is the model panelview micro 300 they used. (I was told by my AB supplier there are two models DH485 and DF1)
The only other component that I know nothing about in this machine is an OMNII COMM unit. It has something to do with handling port switching. (2 barcode scanners, 1 barcode printer, Vision system)

Ken Roach said:
Don... didn't my "shazam!" indicate that I was kidding around ?

My point was that industrial controllers can't grow and migrate as fast as consumer and business electronics can.

My stock answer when folks asked "why doesn't A-B just put a USB port on the controller" has been "we will, just as soon as every bar code reader, weigh scale controller, modem, marquee, and printer has one".

Watch for the new 1756-EN2T and 1756-CN2/B at Automation Fair and check out the USB access ports on them.

I was just having a spirited debate! Some folks seemed to take it personally.