USB (C) Programming port

Rson

Anyone know if a company makes a 24VDC power supply to USB (C) charger in place of a 120V outlet for programming?

I have some panels with 480V or 24VDC only, and it would be nice to be able to provide a USB port for charging. We are typically the only ones who service our equipment and we all just upgraded to USB (C) laptops.

With USB (C) catching on, I'm sure in 20 years or so we will see them - just wondering if anyone has seen them now?

It is easier to go with usb A female and with A-male to USB C cable.

Something like this

https://powerwerx.com/panel-mount-dual-usb-device-charger-high-output

Mouser have also several differents, but they are feed trought usb connectors with 22m threas so you need seperate charger for them.

Usually AC outlet with Din fastener is easiest and cheapest on inside panel. Then you can connect your own charger from laptop pack there.

He dont have single phase AC.
He wants a device for 24V DC.

Missed that writing.

Linked allready one product.

I would go to check car or boat accessory stores on that case. There should be easy to find USB output from 12 or 24VDC and with hole or angular mounting.

It is easier to go with usb A female and with A-male to USB C cable.

Something like this

https://powerwerx.com/panel-mount-dual-usb-device-charger-high-output

Mouser have also several differents, but they are feed trought usb connectors with 22m threas so you need seperate charger for them.

Usually AC outlet with Din fastener is easiest and cheapest on inside panel. Then you can connect your own charger from laptop pack there.

Nice! That's why I love this site, someone has almost always seen something somewhere that I haven't.

The very-inexpensive devices, even for automotive/marine applications, are probably not going to support the higher-voltage, higher-power USB Type C "Power Delivery" specifications.

Laptops typically need significant USB-C PD capacity, on the order of 60+ watts at a minimum. A commonplace USB-A to USB-C cord like you would use to charge your mobile phone won't do the job.

https://www.coolgear.com/product-category/usb-chargers/usb-charge-only

If I was going to provide such a power supply device in one of my cabinets as a convenience port, I would choose one of those. Be sure that the USB-C port has enough power to charge the laptops you use.

Last edited:
Nice! That's why I love this site, someone has almost always seen something somewhere that I haven't.

If you allready have 12-24V car chargers for laptops, then cigarette lighter socket is also one cheap and easy find possiblity.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cigarette-lighter-sockets/0450571

Ken have point, USB C have higher charging voltage if device charged supports it. Coolgear have panel mount cable kits also for their charger.

Last edited:
I went through a very similar exercise a while back - I was building a small machine for a customer. The machine had to be small enough to fit through a standard doorway, and plug into a standard outlet. It was controlled solely by an iPad, which talked wirelessly to a tiny industrial PC running Ignition Perspective. Great little project! Anyhow, they wanted a charging point for the iPad mounted on the machine skin, and I wanted to keep everything 24VDC. So I found this. USB-C and USB-A on the same outlet, digital voltage display, waterproof, 12-24V input, and a 36W quick charge rating gives you a decent chance of being able to power a laptop from it. Unfortunately it's now saying "unavailable", but perhaps you can backtrack to the OEM and find out if they've released a new model?

In any case, the trick for me was looking for heavy vehicle USB chargers, since most heavy vehicles use two 12V batteries in series and run everything on 24V rather than the standard automotive 12V. Or at least that's the way things are here in upside-down land, over there in 'merica you do funny things with the 'lectricity :D

That is a very nifty POE / USB power regulator / splitter !

For this specific application, though, be sure to check the details. Those devices provide 5V only, with limits of 2.4 or 4 A depending on models, and do not support the Quick Charge or Power Delivery standards of USB-C.

To power a phone charger or Raspberry Pi in a remote panel, those look very neat. But they're insufficient to charge a service laptop.