USB (C) Programming port

That is a very nifty POE / USB power regulator / splitter !

For this specific application, though, be sure to check the details. Those devices provide 5V only, with limits of 2.4 or 4 A depending on models, and do not support the Quick Charge or Power Delivery standards of USB-C.

To power a phone charger or Raspberry Pi in a remote panel, those look very neat. But they're insufficient to charge a service laptop.

I was really wrong, the device that I indicated only works for 5V devices such as Rasbperry or phones.

The maximum current in a USB C connector is 3A but for laptop instead of 5V it works up to 20V with which the maximum power reaches up to 60W

So any 5V only power supply is inadequate in this case.

MORE:
USB C has the characteristic that the device and the charger negotiate the required voltage, some laptops need 15V others 20V.
Therefore it seems mandatory to use only a specific USB C charger for laptops

Last edited:
The newer laptops have a pretty big draw so this will take something quite hefty. One of my coworkers just got a new Dell Precision 3561 that charges exclusively through a USB-C port with a 130w charger. My year old Precision 3551 can charge through USB-C or the older round plug, both at 130W. I know if you plug in a lower powered charger, a warning appears and tells you it isn't charging. And those 130w power supplies that come from Dell get very hot!

The newer laptops have a pretty big draw so this will take something quite hefty. One of my coworkers just got a new Dell Precision 3561 that charges exclusively through a USB-C port with a 130w charger. My year old Precision 3551 can charge through USB-C or the older round plug, both at 130W. I know if you plug in a lower powered charger, a warning appears and tells you it isn't charging. And those 130w power supplies that come from Dell get very hot!

That's 26Amps.... @ 5V no wonder its getting HOT!

That's 26Amps.... @ 5V no wonder its getting HOT!

The USB-C is taking care of everything nowadays.

it charges the laptop at 20v and the phones or other devices at 5v.

it also allows you to run up to 4 monitors at a time, while charging, and doing data transmission through the single USB-C port on the lightning dock.

I have the Dell precision 3551 also. so I can use the older round chargers in a pinch also.

The USB-C is taking care of everything nowadays.

it charges the laptop at 20v and the phones or other devices at 5v.

it also allows you to run up to 4 monitors at a time, while charging, and doing data transmission through the single USB-C port on the lightning dock.

I have the Dell precision 3551 also. so I can use the older round chargers in a pinch also.

Yes, it certainly seems to be the future standard, especially with Europe trying to make it universal.

Thanks for all of this information, this thread has been extremely helpful!