Usb to ethernet?

bill4807

Hello,

So, the laptop that i have to temporarily use has no lan port.
Does anyone have a proven working usb to ethernet adapter brand?
I have to buy one, to use with rockwell software, mitsubishi, etc,

Please tell me some of you do this, or have had to in the past?

Thanks!

Ethernet USB ports don't have the chipset problems USB serial ports do.

When you follow dmroeder's advise I would buy 2 of them. Although anyone will work, it is best to have a spare when it dies on you during an online session.

I agree for most applications such as programming a PLC or monitoring a PLC through Ethernet, any off-the-shelf USB-LAN adapter product will do the job.
But there is one exception to that rule of thumb and it is related to getting Wireshark traces of implicit (IO messaging) when using a managed switch with mirroring port feature, and yes, this is a very nerdy kind of application which is almost never used in the shop floor unless there are communication issues that need verification. So, in case you do need to get Wireshark traces, my experience is that the IO messaging is too fast for USB and the time-stamp of the Wireshark traces are utterly meaningless. For those rare instances that Wireshark traces need to be taken, you will need a PC with build-in RJ-45 LAN port. I have even tried relatively expensive USB 3.0 GBit USB-LAN adapters but they do not capture Wireshark traces properly.

I agree for most applications such as programming a PLC or monitoring a PLC through Ethernet, any off-the-shelf USB-LAN adapter product will do the job.
But there is one exception to that rule of thumb and it is related to getting Wireshark traces of implicit (IO messaging) when using a managed switch with mirroring port feature, and yes, this is a very nerdy kind of application which is almost never used in the shop floor unless there are communication issues that need verification. So, in case you do need to get Wireshark traces, my experience is that the IO messaging is too fast for USB and the time-stamp of the Wireshark traces are utterly meaningless. For those rare instances that Wireshark traces need to be taken, you will need a PC with build-in RJ-45 LAN port. I have even tried relatively expensive USB 3.0 GBit USB-LAN adapters but they do not capture Wireshark traces properly.

This reminds me. I need to go and buy a new Lenovo P50 replacement before I can no longer get it w/ Windows 10 pro.

Wow The MCY 12-in-1 Docking Station has went from 29 USD to 79 USD! I want to buy one but I think I will wait.

I have got to somehow file this in my memory archive, this will absolutely come up one day with the rapid reduction of built in NICs.

Thanks.

Nice to see these are in use! Phew.

I will look online at them.
Probably the cheap ones.

I have no need for wire shark for now.

Thanks all!