Usb to ethernet adapters

John Morris

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all

I have a problem I haven't been able to over come and I need an assist.

The Ethernet port on the laptop took a poop. I have spent eight hours googling and trying different things to correct. In the end it will send but not receive. Have given up.

Purchased a 2.0 USB to Ethernet adapter, trying to open RSLinx and RSlogix, but Linx is not seeing anything. I have the driver set to AB-Ethernet and configured the adapter into the driver, still not getting any where.

Any ideas?

Thank you for you time.

Screen shots of your setup?

I have used a number of different USB to Ethernet adapters over the years and never had an issue. I assume you did the standard troubleshooting to ensure that you're connected to the network and able to ping your devices?

Hi Paully

Just checking on that It doing the same thing sending but not receiving. wi fi works great.

tried uninstalling and reinstalling the LAN driver via a re-start. Checked the Stacks, dumped all but one of the drivers for that port.

Hey can I use a usb on a 1400 A micro logix

I have had 2 USB to Ethernet adapters, both of the StarTech.com brand.
Both USB 3 to Gigabit network.

The first had a built in USB port which sounded great but I never could get the adapter to work consistently. It would keep dropping out and coming back all the time.

The second one without the USB port (P/N USB31000S) has never failed me in talking to anything.

Only thing I have also seen is if I plug it in next to my Logitech universal receiver for my wireless mouse I get some interference on the mouse side. Haven't seen an issue on the Ethernet side.

Sounds like a network configuration issue.

You said that wi-fi works great. That tells me you are going from hard wired to wireless? Depending on what you are doing you may be on another address/subnet/vlan and be segregated from the network you are trying to access.

Is the old ethernet port disabled? RSLinx could be getting confused.

Na, thanks though sparky

What you have here is one ****ed off wanna be.

I sent the comp back to 1-29-16. still nothing on the Ethernet, or USB. all out and none in. i have worked every identifiable variable know to the internet, and still nothing. GDPOS is fraged. they just have to buy another one.

Sorry to have wasted you valuable time.

thank you for all you attention.

Alright then

Now that I have calmed down ( sorry for the rant all, bad form )

The problem, not being able to connect to the PLC Via Ethernet, I had experienced AB_ETHER, which is I believe self populating, on the other hand AB_ETHER_1, you have to populate the addresses, Figured that one out all by my big boy self.

What I didn't know, was the IpV4 has to match the first three segments of the IP address. 192.168.150.XXX. Kicking big boy in the pants for two days. but who knew.

I wish I had more exposure to this stuff more then twice a year ( Or so).

Thank you all for your insight, next time I will make my behavior worthy of you time.

Yes I did.

It was an addressing issue, I am fairly new to Rockwell, and haven't had the opportunity to dig in as deep as i would like, so, in my old age, I sometimes get frustrated at all the hidden facets I have yet to discover. If it was at leisure I would probably sail right thru, but when it needs to get out the door, the boss is waiting on you, and the answers just stop, sometimes it hard to lift the fog of development.

Hey thanks for the follow up, I appreciate it.

Paully's5 asked you in post #2 for a screenshot of your setup, and if you could ping.
If you had answered any or both, you could possibly have gotten a solution immediately.

The problem of the IP's of the devices that have to talk to each other having to exist in the same subnet is basic TCP/IP knowledge. You should study TCP/IP adressing. It is not complicated.

Thank you Jesper

I thought the subnet was 255.255.255.00. All of the PLC HMI addressing had the same subnet. I checked that. Just not the source, the IPv4 I was transmitting on.

Your right though, I have allot to learn.

Thank you