USB to RS232 conversion (not opposite) [WAGO PFC200]

Kardan

Good day,
I've been browsing this forum for 2 years now, but this will be my first post.

I have device with USB serial output.

I would like to get that data to my WAGO 750-8202 which has RS232/485 port.

Can rs-232 to USB cables work both ways?

P.S.: the device i want to acquire data from - internally has rs-232 to usb converter, but it is integrated on PCB and I cannot bypass it.

Good day,
I've been browsing this forum for 2 years now, but this will be my first post.

I have device with USB serial output.

I would like to get that data to my WAGO 750-8202 which has RS232/485 port.

Can rs-232 to USB cables work both ways?

P.S.: the device i want to acquire data from - internally has rs-232 to usb converter, but it is integrated on PCB and I cannot bypass it.

Serial communications is 2-way - so yes is the answer.

Be aware, though, that some of the "cheaper" USB/Serial converters you can buy do not work at the higher data rates you might want to use.

Others may have other recommendations, but I would recommend the Keyspan USA-19HS adapter, which is available at a good price.... I have yet to come across anything it doesn't work with.

Depends on the USB device. If it s not a device running windows or some other OS in the background that supports USB to RS-232 converters, I'd say probably not.

A USB to RS-232 is not just an active converter, it's an actual usb device that requires drivers and must be registered as a serial port with whatever it's plugged into. For example, when you plug an RS-232 converter into a windows laptop, it's not like you're just sending data out to a USB port and it's getting converted to RS-232 serial signal, it actually has registered and installed a serial device. If your device cannot support that, then it's not an option.

Depends on the USB device. If it s not a device running windows or some other OS in the background that supports USB to RS-232 converters, I'd say probably not.

A USB to RS-232 is not just an active converter, it's an actual usb device that requires drivers and must be registered as a serial port with whatever it's plugged into. For example, when you plug an RS-232 converter into a windows laptop, it's not like you're just sending data out to a USB port and it's getting converted to RS-232 serial signal, it actually has registered and installed a serial device. If your device cannot support that, then it's not an option.

My bad - I had not considered that aspect..... ;)

Lesson learned - act and think appear that way alphabetically, but shouldn't be assumed it's best to use them in that order...

Easy mistake. The probably really lies in calling them usb to rs-232 'converters'. They are most definitely not. Unless you consider a video card a 'PCI to HDMI converter' or usb webcam a 'visible light spectrum to usb converter'. I think the confusion comes from the physical appearance of satisfying the basic idea of a 'conveter', in which it makes a rectangular plug go into a trapezoidal plug. From that sense, yeah, I gues it converts the shape of the connector.

you could try a usb/485 converter, hopefully the data will be passed, normally a USB connection will ask for data, so you have to know what you need to send before you receive data.
another way is to have a small PC in between to do this for you.