USB to RS232 Converters? What's the Best Choice.

mdemmer

I know I have passed by a thread with this topic but I can't find it. What I need to know is what brand will work with Windows 7 - 64 bit OS. I have a Sabrent Cable (SBT-USC1M) that I got from Tiger Direct that I have yet to try. I know this cable works for XP on All Allen-Bradley PLC's as well as All Omron PLC's I've hooked up with in the past. I'm posting this because on the Sabrent Site they don't have a driver for Windows7 64bit OS.

I've heard about Keyspan, Belkin and the Expensive AB options. I am ordering a few for all my Programmers so I need the best option.

Just try it.

Your best bet is to just try one or two and see if they work. You can get Windows drivers for most new units online.

Getting the USB to serial device to work on older PLC (or new PLC with an old design or older version software) can be a pain. Windows likes to setup the USB device as the next available Com port. This could be port 7, 8, 9, etc. A lot of the older PLC can work with only com ports 1 or 2 (sometimes 1, 2, 3 & 4). This forces you to go into Windows Device Manager and re-arrange the com ports. Sometimes you have to do this shuffling around of com ports every time you want to talk to something else. Also, some PLCs and devices are picky about the Serial port setup so you have to do this setup of the USB's Comm port in Device Manager.

If all your folks have the same computer & USB device it is a lot easier to support.

I carry six different USB/serial adapters. I have the best luck with the Keyspan USA-19HS and the Belkin F5U409. They work with (almost) everything.

If you use Dell Laptops, their add-on docking serial port gives you a REAL serial port w/o some of the USB to Serial "programming features" that some of the plug-ins have (some devices don't play well with others, especially really old stuff)

I have never had an issue with the one from Omron - it is dearer but has been tested with all Omron PLCs and I have never had an issue with anything else either.
The secret appears to possibly be the FTDI chip that is used in the unit as opposed to other chips. I have had all sorts of issues with Belkin converters dropping out all the time and have thrown them all away.
Keyspan is hard to get in Ozz and so I cannot comment.

I have never had an issue with the one from Omron

I second this statement. My Omron converter was able to handle the most demanding serial comm tasks (like Quickpanel download) that others failed.

I obviously cannot tell if there might be a better choice but Omron so far was the best for me.

I have never had an issue with the one from Omron

I disagree with this statement. I'm in a plant that use ONLY Omron and AB PLC components and I have the Omron Converter (CS1W-CIF31) and it could not connect the the Ultra3000 drives through UltraWare.

I do agree that Omron PLCs will drop communication with other cables and the Omron is the best for Omron but it's also 3 times the price (if not more) then a generic converter.

Thanks for all the info. Looks like its a trial and error thing.

All converters made on FDTI chip works fine.
Hardware com port is back form the grave :) ! For example in new Hp laptop 8560p - I'm using it and works perfect.

There is another one I use regularly for 422/485 - it will also do 232 but I have never used it for 232 - works great for 422/485 though. Have used it for SCADA to old PLCs with 422 and 485 with Modscan. It is the Adam 4561 from Advantech - it is an isolated type.
I have never tried to connect to anything through UltraWare though - I will remember that one.