Using a 9 Amp contactor for 10 Amp motor?

I could not find a reference, but I thought the IEC maximum rating was for 1 start a day, 8 hour maximum run time. I do not believe that Telemecanique is the only culprit in this category. I have seen others that are just as wimpy.
Interesting, I didn't realize there was such a low cycle rating

We used to get cranes in with Telemecanique contactors. We wouldn't even bother putting them up before we removed them. They wouldn't last a month

It's not that Telemecanique is bad, you'd have the same issues with Allen-Bradley IEC controls or Siemens or whoever. IEC controls are not rated the same way NEMA controls are. You can pick one up and feel its not made the same.

In the plant we had many identical production machines. When NEMA controls wore out, Allen-Bradley IEC controls were installed on some machines. I've seen motors go to ground and take out the IEC motor protectors and starters. Other machines with NEMA controls we'd just take the contactor apart and use a screwdriver to pry the contacts apart. Then we'd replace two fuses and the motor and it'd be good to go. Any one that has been in the field for a while has seen this.