Multiple motor startup using ramp instruction

I did understand that Tom VFD's was the original proposal I had given to the company. However after looking at the costs for either a large VFD running several motors or a VFD for each motor Its still essentially a bandaid to the actual problem of the warehouse shutdowns granted they would help prevent motor loss the same could be accomplished by finding a more streamlined method to unload the boxes at the end route. I will probably still try to install VFD's I do have about 20 Square d's kicking around that are approximately the right size from an old system but that will take some time to check into. As well as price out the materials list to install them. They may opt to switch to Hydraulics as 90% of the conveyers we have are currently on Hydraulics

Not sure what you mean about fast enough; http://www.palletizing.com/ makes palletizers that can do up to 150 cases (depending on size) a minute.

They have a book "Science of Palletizing; http://www.palletizing.com/science_of_palletizing.php

Another thought is it may not matter about what the conveyor was made from, if you incorporate VFD's and wash down motors they could be used on conveyors built for the washdown environment. If you know they have a short life span you may start building new and incorporating them over time; which lessens the need for large cash output at once. The use of VFD's may not offer a large payback at once but could allow a more consistent feedrate and lower energy use.

thanks for those links RSdoran I'll definetely look into those I know the chief engineer here has been looking into Autopalletizers for some time now I'll pass this info onto him the biggest problem will be the number of different products per line average is 12 products with 9 different size boxes If you happen to know of any palletizers that can read a barcode, and deliver to any of 6 different pallets that would be ideal

Last edited:
Thanks I'll look into the romm requirements I work in the pork industry we slaughter and process about 12000 hogs per day and employ a little over 1200 personel. with this industry we generate close to 300 seperate products all entering the warehouse so I need to find something that is extremely flexible with as little room as possible as we've already maximized our ability to expand the plant size I'll get more info on our needs after the Xmas holidays. OUr biggest problem is the right equipment with the limitations of room Ie I cannot install 300 different lanes off a sortation conveyer. However if I can find a palletizer that can handle a large variety to multiple pallets that would cut down on the needed space

I know the Columbia/Okura stuff has a variety of options, a feed plant close to me has robotic models that palletize different size bags of feed. The robot is programmed with dimensions etc for the sizes/types so once the size/type is input it knows how to do the layout.

The other styles with lifts ect work the same way. It is amazing how little space they need for both palletizing and wrapping. Checkout that book I mentioned and look at the toptier page, lot of info there on layout etc.

Is this even necessary?

If you've only got 15 motors on a box moving conveyor (I assume they are small horsepower motors) is this even an issue? If you eliminated the 0.5 second delay or at least switched on several motors (maybe in banks of 5) simutaneously would the inrush current cause your distribution to trip or are you just assuming it might. If you can switch them simutaneously you eliminate your production problem.

It might be worth a look. I work in a pipe mill and we have lots of conveyors with 15+ motors moving steel pipe (1000s of pounds) and we start them simutaneously accross the line. Of course, our distribution gear is sized for these types of loads too.

They are all small motors I've done some work over the Xmas holidays and managed to group them into groups of 3 without tripping once production has run for 8 hours I'll get a better sense of if that will help. However small it does help a bit I've also reduced some of the excessive braking zone by setting some of the zones to auto slug mode. To those that aren't familiar with accumulaton conveyer terms its a method of braking that detects whether to accululate or merely push the boxes through. Don't ask me how it works however as its strictly through a series of pneumatic valves and I merely had to follow the manual on setting it up.

Well those changes I made help somewhat I am averaging an additional 100 boxes per 1/2 hour. If they can keep consistently running it will help aleviate the shutdowns and automation errors. Still not a complete fix the rest is up to the company to fork out the money

just curious as this is far from my area of experience, but are you trying to palletize all the same product on one pallet or mix and match products as they come off the line on one pallet.

Sounds like a interesting project to tackle anyway you look at it.

Great job at taking the pressure off while you research the best solution.

..and 12,000 hogs a day! Am I close to guessing that that is equivalent to the entire Canadian consumption? You must be packing them up for export.

Brian.

Last edited:
Yes we export approximately 80% of the product to Japan, Europe and Russia also I believe we also have markets in the states as well as Mexico. to answer your other question we run approximately 40 different products down each line of 5 lines and they are manually sorted after they have been labelled, weighed, strapped and passed through a metal detector for contaminates, When they sort them they have an average of 12 to 15 pallets one for each product all 40 products never run at the same time as they modify what products are produced at different times depending on the order sheets.

I did a short stint in a cheese processing plant and they had a pick and place robot doing palletizing. Took up about 15' square, all fenced in to prevent some innocent bystander getting palletized. Looks like it was fast and flexible. Probably could be programmed for a hundred different sized units. Automatic pallet wrapper finished it off and rolled it out to the forktruck.
Again Ron and the boys who have actual experience with these systems can help you more.

Brian.