Using a PLC-5 as a Remote I/O Adapter

fsnader

Hello!
I'm working on a project where I have to comunicate a Schneider Modicom Quantum with a AB PLC-5/30. My costumer have only a QRIO-002 module to the Quantum and we are trying to use only this equipment. This module talks with A/B remote I/O adapters, as it was Ethernet TCP/IP.

So, the plan is to configure a PLC-5's channel as a RIO Adapter and send the data files to the Schneider PLC. The problem is that I don't know how to configure the PLC-5 to provide the correct adresses.

To be more especific, I'm having problems with the attached picture's screen. How do I should configure it? I want to send some integer data files.
Do you think I will have problems with this solution?

Thank you!

PLC5_IO_ADAPTER.PNG

How many words of data do you need to transfer?
The rack Size parameter sets this 1/4 = 2 words, 1/2 = 4 words, Full=8 words.
If you need to transfer more than 8 words, the scanner needs to support block transfers. Does it?

dmargineau:
Thank you for the material, It will be very usefull!

Mike_RH:
I don't know exactly how many words of data, but I'm sure it's more than 8. How can I do this? I think I will have to construct some logic in PLC-5, right?

If you need to transfer more than 8 words in each direction, you can:
- Multiplex data or
- Use block transfers, these would be initiated by the scanner - does the scanner have block transfer capability? (Second time I have asked)

Block transfers may be up to 64 words long.

Ok, then you can transfer data in blocks of 64 words, either read or write or both.
You can set up a set of pair (r/w) for each slot in a module group.

The setup is in manual already linked by dmargineau.

How much data do you need to transfer?

For that much data, you have a choice of either:
1. - Using 4 block transfers to get the ~200 words
or
2. Use 1 and multiplex the transfer.

Will the transfer be bidirectional or unidirectional?

The transfer will be bidirectional in some cases. I have words that I have to write and read, and I have words that I have only to read.
I understand that, in this case, I have to use some block transfers to read and some block transfers to write those words, right?