Using embedded Web pages for troubleshooting

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I've been doing a lot of EtherNet/IP network troubleshooting and system tuning lately and often I hear Tech Support tell users (and sometimes I say it myself) to "check the embedded Web pages" for status values or counters that might point you to the source of a problem.

The problem is that I don't have the web pages memorized, and most folks don't know where to look. One guy was kind enough to send me 80 MB of screenshots.

I found a little freeware utility called HTTrack that will download the entire embedded webpage set for you in about 10 to 15 seconds. You can then ZIP these files up and e-mail them around for support and analysis folks to have a look at.

I tried it and it worked well with the 1756-ENBT, 1794-AENT, and 20-COMM-E modules that I had handy.

In my latest project I am using Citect to directly display the web pages from variable speed drives, remote io and the cpu. The inbuilt web pages have heaps of diagnostics available (drive even has a charting facility). This has saved me hundreds of citect tags and hours of work.