Using Programmable Encoder with Powerflex 755 Drive

KendelPyramid

Encountering an issue using a Baumer Programmable Incremental Encoder using the Powerflex 755 drive. The application is a high speed merge. With the encoder mounted, and the connector wired in to the encoder card, every time I try and put the drive into motion it gives me either a Code 91 Primary Vel Feedback Fault or a Code 95 Aux Vel Feedback fault. This happens when even when doing the Autotuning of the drive. I can't do the hookup test or motor feedback test either. I'm wondering what exactly I need to do to get this encoder to work, because unfortunately I don't have the time to order the one that I know for sure will work, which is on the other lane of my merge.

Which encoder are you using exactly?
What PPR do you have programmed into it?
What is the output level?
Does the drive report receiving any counts at all?
What encoder card are you using (Incremental or Universal)?

Keith

Encoder: Baumer HS35 Programmable
PPR: It defaults to 1024, which is required for this application
Output Level: It's TTL so it's 5V
Using Drive executive, we can see it counting the pulses as the motor shaft moves
Endcoder card Is an AB 20-750-ENC-1

If you spin the motor shaft 10 times by hand does the motor position change the number of counts you expect it to? That's a reasonably easy way to tell if you are missing counts or not.

Keith

Yes. Its putting out the right amount of ppr when I watch it in drive executive. But when doing any type of motion testing in RSLogix the drive either faults to code 91, 95, or am open wire fault

Do you have the correct port selected in P125? When you say you are getting the right number of pulses are you looking at the position feedback value directly from the card or are you looking at what the drive is reporting? Same thing with speed.

I assume this is an induction motor with this encoder mounted to it. Is the encoder mounted directly to the motor?

Keith

parameters and setup

From what you are describing it is a setup issue. The PF755 has over 1200 parameter options and it can be very tricky to find the right combination of things to make it work right. Once its working it is amazing.

Is the drive itself faulting?

Do you have more than one encoder?

Again, there is so many unanswered questions its hard to troubleshoot without a lot more information. Rockwell even had to do research when I had problems getting it up and running.

I believe they are the best answer in this case.

"But when doing any type of motion testing in RSLogix...."
I know you can not use motion instructions using the 20 750-ENC1
card. Are you trying to set up a half axis? The counter in the card will reset to zero on a power loss.