VB and PLC's

Rbergmann,
I will keep that in mind if I make it that far. Heck, I'm still trying to figure out what tools I need in my toolbox to get started. I feel like I may just want to stay in the truck. :D I just had to find something else to do with a plc and controling one with a PC was something I want to accomplish.
Again,
Thanks for the information.
Tim

Hey Tim I am always glad to help a fellow programmer bitten by the bug. I will try to clarify the difference between an ActiveX control and an ActiveX DLL (basically a standard DLL except it can be used in an ActiveX compatible program).

First of all the Mitsubishi serial port master driver from the previous link is an ActiveX DLL. That is all you need to communicate with your particular plc using VB.

Second your link to the VB.Net standard was not directed to the standard (at least on my machine), but I can tell you right now it will work fine.

OK, I will try to keep this simple for beginner VB's. It will all come together when you start using VB.

With an ActiveX you just drag the control to your form in VB. From there you can set certain properties, like the baud rate and such, right from the properties list. You still have to call the methods (tell the ActiveX to talk using the properties you set) using code.

With an ActiveX DLL you don't drag the control to your form. You just include it in your VB Project and then you set all of the properties and call the methods in code. You must also declare the functions you want to use.

Now, I know It's starting to sound complicated, but trust me it is not, and the rewards are great.

The ActiveX that you purchase will have some example code for you to use. The most important thing you can do is get familiar with VB and writing code. I started and still am a PLC programmer and trust me if you can program a plc you can easily learn VB and make this project work.

I got the link to work, thanks Tim. Here is a quote from the .NET site.

Existing Investments Carry Forward
Visual Basic .NET enables developers to leverage their existing investments in code and skills. Windows Forms provides a robust container for Microsoft ActiveX® controls.

Keep me informed on your progress.

I just remembered a project I did a while back in my basement. I had written a program in VB that would find the X,Y position of the joystick that was hooked into the gameport on my pc, I then used this information to flash different outputs on the PLC faster or slower depending on the direction and how far the joystick was being pushed away from center.

Just one of the rewards I was talking about. I did this without using $1500 helper software that the plc manufacturers provide.

Zman,
If I got the bug, you must have a full-blown terminal disease.
BTW, have you ever been inclined to put this accomplishment on a resume? Wonder what the potential employer would think?
beerchug
Tim

He would say that joysticks have no place in our business.

It's amazing what a couple of beers in your basement can make you think up. beerchug

Re: Have always loved PacMan

rsdoran said:
Cant seem to control this PacMan with the arrow keys though.

Don't feel bad Ron. I play it quite often (probably too often) and still can't get past the strawberry... :oops:

Maybe I'm ready for that new version, zmanvortex...

OK I'll bite

I spent years working with arcade machines, naturally PacMam was one of them. I was in the amusement business for several years.

I cant get this version to stop moving, when I click an arrow it moves to end of path and wont go up when up arrow is pressed. Its ok I have more than enough to do so shouldnt get to involved with games.