Vinyl wrapping a backplane

bkulrich

Anyone ever vinyl wrap a backplane, and is it acceptable to do so? We are building a panel for 15 VFD's, and thought about using a vinyl wrap to locate all holes. Equipment labels could be incorporated.

Welcome to the forum.

If you wrap the backpanel in order to mark the drill holes and then remove the wrapping when you are done, OK.
BUT you cannot leave this wrapping on when done. the wrapping creates an insulation barrier between the components and the backplane which is grounded to the enclosure. this also prevents heat dissipation to the backpanel. i would not allow this to remain on the backpanel if i were still in the panel building business.
james

Welcome to the forum.

If you wrap the backpanel in order to mark the drill holes and then remove the wrapping when you are done, OK.
BUT you cannot leave this wrapping on when done. the wrapping creates an insulation barrier between the components and the backplane which is grounded to the enclosure. this also prevents heat dissipation to the backpanel. i would not allow this to remain on the backpanel if i were still in the panel building business.
james

Paint does the same thing, doesn't it?

Archie shared some pictures at one time where he had the backplane either vinyl wrapped or silk screened. Looked pretty sharp.

Anyone ever vinyl wrap a backplane, and is it acceptable to do so? We are building a panel for 15 VFD's, and thought about using a vinyl wrap to locate all holes. Equipment labels could be incorporated.

Do you mean the back PLATE of an enclosure? Or the BACKPLANE of a PLC rack?

As Bob1371 stated Archie has a sign company make a vinyl stick-on in full color that covers the back PLATE for drilling mounting holes.

Plus as James said, I would cut out anywhere that a component needs heat disappation

Do you mean the back PLATE of an enclosure? Or the BACKPLANE of a PLC rack?

As Bob1371 stated Archie has a sign company make a vinyl stick-on in full color that covers the back PLATE for drilling mounting holes.

Plus as James said, I would cut out anywhere that a component needs heat disappation

Sorry, I do mean back PLATE of an enclosure...

my 2 cents (although something in me head saying don't):
Some manufactures use the back plane as an equipment ground.
I didn't even think about the heat angle.

I will ask my UL guy next time I see him.

my 2 cents (although something in me head saying don't):
Some manufactures use the back plane as an equipment ground.
I didn't even think about the heat angle.

I will ask my UL guy next time I see him.

Actually on painted back plates the grounding is through a bonding washer that cuts through the paint or powdercoating. They don't rely on the frame of a component touching bare metal.