visual emulator for rslogix 500 suggestion

hart316

Trying to learn plcs with the rslogix 500 emulator, and I also have the rslogixpro app, with built in simulators, but rather not write the programs twice, as it is easier with the AB500. Just wondering if there was an alternative method or approach. Not sure if AdvanceHMI app would be usable, even for example a traffic light demo. Trying to follow the I/O data bits is rather difficult vs. a graphical display! LOL!!!

Come to think of it, I never tried to open a rslogix 500 program in the rslogixpro app, not sure if that will work.

Thanks,

Come to think of it, I never tried to open a rslogix 500 program in the rslogixpro app, not sure if that will work.
I think you are mixing up programs. There is no "RSLogixPro" but there is a LogixPro Simulator software program written by Bill Simpson and available at thelearningpit.com. LogixPro will NOT run Allen Bradley RSLogix 500 software programs (or any other type of PLC program except for LogixPro file type RSL). Neither will RSLogix 500 software run a LogixPro program.

However I find it easy to convert LogixPro programs to RSLogix programs (within the limits of the LogixPro software), and vice-versa. You usually only have to change the addresses, and for a SLC 5/02, even the addresses may be the same.

Many times I have written and tested programs using the I/O Simulator in LogixPro, then converted the working version over to RSLogix 500.

Last edited:
I think you are mixing up programs. There is no "RSLogixPro" but there is a LogixPro Simulator software program written by Bill Simpson and available at thelearningpit.com. LogixPro will NOT run Allen Bradley RSLogix 500 software programs (or any other type of PLC program except for LogixPro file type RSL). Neither will RSLogix 500 software run a LogixPro program.

That's what I mean to say! I just hate having to write the prorams twice, also being that the rslogix is faster to write programs with.

Whether RSLogix is faster from first edition to final working version depends on what you are doing - student-type problems in which case LogixPro may very well be faster overall to debug and test your problem solution, or industrial plant systems where RSLogix will be faster.

Allen Bradley has a RSlogix500PRO and RSlogix5PRO software.
I don't think that Hart316 is talking about the Professional versions, because he would not have to rewrite to switch from the Standard to the Professional RSLogix.

I just hate having to write the programs twice, ...
For most of us, typing in a good descriptive rung comment is the greatest time consumer. If you do enter a great rung comment while developing your program with LogixPro, then here is a tip that will save you a lot of time.

1. Using Windows, minimize LogixPro so that it fills the top half of your screen. Minimize RSLogix so that it fills the bottom half.

2. Edit the LogixPro comment for your first rung, but do not change it. Instead, highlight the eentire comment (it will be highlighted when you first open the comment with the editior). Then hit Control C for Copy.

3. Now move to RSLogix at the bottom of your screen, and edit the comment for the same rung (or a new blank rung). Then hit Control V for Paste. Now you have the original rung comment entered into RSLogix without having to type it in again!

4. Repeat for all your rung comments, and you will be about halfway through with your progrm conversion. Now all you have to do is to enter the instructions for each rung, a much smaller job if you use the 3-letter RSLogix mnemonic for each instruction.