vmware, studio, slow uploads

When you say VPN is the host VPNing into the network, or is the host on the network and you VPN rdp into that?

I'd set the VM at 8GB ram and look at your host hardware to see core/cpus and make it 2 cores with 2 cpus (aim for 4 cpus in the end). Monitor the host ram usage, windows 10 is a hog and I find that even 8GB is a bit slow/******. If you can upgrade the ram of the host to 32GB (its been about 4ish years since having only 16GB on a host).

If you are still having issues, I'd recommend the connection to the local process network a USB to ethernet that is directly owned by the VM.

Slow uploads can also be a network issue but if you remote into the connection that is also connecting to the PLC it can be throttled by the RDP connection. I'd test this on-site if you can and see if the VM actually performs fine when you are at the host vs VPN RDP.

I am on site, for a little bit longer.
Typically, the way I have things setup.
Host connected to company vpn,
Guest connected to company vpn. Both the host and guest are located on the same hard drive. ( I did have guest on external, but moved it local as to rule that out as an issue)
I have tried the 2 cores 2 cpus in an earlier test and it was much worse. I tried the "wide and flat" rule across the board. (uploaded over 50 times under different test conditions)
I will see about upgrading to 32 gb, but not seeing a major impact with 8gb. (could be because a lot of bloatware is removed right out of the box)

VPN was mentioned and I agree now that I have been able to test on site. Even though speed tests show up good through the VPN, we connected a small AP to the stratix. When I'm connected to it I can upload in 3 to 4 minutes. As mentioned USB also works well. Ruling out issues with Ram, Cpu configuration, and in general issues with RSlinx or Studio.

I've used wireshark to make captures, just need to figure out where the issue lies. I'll post more on this when I know more. (first time messing with wireshark, so it may take a moment ;) )

Last edited: