VMware Pro 16 - All versions of Studio 5000 and Rslogix 5000

desertsurf520

Lifetime Supporting Member
So, I have a little dillemma I am trying to work through but I feel there is probably a better way. I've always liked the idea of using a VM in case you have issues and just something you're not using the internet on is a plus. Anyways, I have a variety of customers with a variety of versions of RSlogix 5000 and Studio 5000. What I want to accomplish is having all versions of Studio and Rslogix 5000 all on a virtual machine. I've tried the installation a couple times but when I got to version 27 on Windows 10 I couldnt install properly. Rockwell said its not compatible and couldn't support that. I think that's strange but just my dumb thoughts.

Anyways, Windows 7 works except for the latter versions of Studio and 10 works except for 27 and I think some earlier versions. Does anyone else do this for their customers? Is there a workaround? Does Windows 7 work even for the latter versions? I don't even have a VM of Windows 7 and I can't locate an ISO file anyway. I really don't want it on the host machine. I appreciate any advise for you folks who have had similar headaches.

I have every version from 7 to 35 installed on a windows 10 vm.
My suggestions:
1. Install in reverse order from highest version to lowest. (Rockwell recommends the opposite, don't listen to them)
2. When you get to older versions, such as 20 and below, use an installer that installs multiple versions. This will put some dotnet 1.0 stuff in place that the individual installers for those older versions fail to install.
3. Reboot every time it asks
4. Always hit activate later
5. Many things will trip up the install, mostly related to rockwell's own stupidity. If a software component (like rslinx) fails to install and prevents the entire installer from working because a newer version is already installed, uninstall the newer version, install the older version of studio, then go run the v35 installer to reinstall any missing components.
6. These installs take forever, have patience and good luck. I have spent a lot of time on the phone with rockwell to make their installers work, but anymore, just following these steps I can build a VM or workstation with all versions in about a week (mostly waiting for installers to finish)

PRO TIP: If installing Studio 5000 Application Code Manager, there is a bug in the installer for the version of SQL Express 2016 that is uses. If you go to add/remove programs you will find an older version of the SQL Client (2012) and an old ODBC driver for SQL Server. Uninstall those and try the install again. The install will reinstall those and all will work.

~Trevor

Yes, Rockwell and the distributor say the exact opposite of each other. It has been frustrating and its sad how many hours I've dumped into trying to create a good VM that has all versions. I wish I didn't need them all but I do a lot of service work and I want to go up to any controller and get online without issues. As soon as I can make a decent VM with all versions I definitely will be backing it up. Thank you for your advice. I'll give it another go.

I've been wanting to do this as well since I'm a controls engineer for a company that has many customers all at different versions over the years and it's almost impossible to get a plant to shut down to update. How many GB is your VM with all those versions on it? I usually make my VMs with 120GB drive space, but I know it's going to be more than that and expanding the VM disk space is kind of a pain.

~ Mitch

Agree with tlf30, it's possible to build an all versions VM.
Follow his advice, and when something fails to install investigate the issue. There is usually a workaround.
The most common issues are the "there is a newer version installed" for a software component, and the DotNet 1.0 install.

My VM varies from about 160 to 200 GB, depending on the defragmentation within the VM.
Most versions of 5000 software, PLC 5 & 500, Studio SE V12, a number of other vendors software applications, plus utilities.
Use the Devices -> Hard Disk, Defragment and Compact to clean up the VM regularly, which will reduce the used disk space to a minimum.

I setup a 300 GB hard drive, set to grow as required, rather than all allocated. Reduces the time to copy the VM to a backup.
Its possible to Expand (Devices -> Hard Disk) an existing VM hard drive.
Then use a Partition Manager to add the free space to the existing partition from within the running VM.

If you use snapshots in VMWare Pro:
1. Defragment and Compact don't work if the VM contains snapshots.
2. If Rockwell Codemeter activations are hosted within the VM, reverting to a snapshot screws them up and the software has to be reactivated.
Rockwell changed that behaviour recently, restoring from snapshots used to work ok before. This is a pain, reduces the usefulness of snapshots.

Last edited:
First of all for all my activation I use the dongle and I recommend it.
that way if I have to move the install to another computer ,Upgrade Failure or whatever i still have the activations.
and yes the older versions must be installed on a windows 7 and some even older versions will only run in windows 95 - 98
and I actually have software that can only be run on DOS for those i have a VM Machines I use
I have my own cloud storage and i always back up my VM machines and all my software. I also backup all my projects so that if I have a failure I can easily reinstall whatever I need.
one thing about installing Rockwell software you must install the older versions first then work you way up. each version installs their own driver. when a driver is installed it over wrights the already install driver so your newer version will no longer work the newer driver will work with the older software but the older driver will not work the newer software.
the last time I changed my computer it took me about 2 days just to install the needed software so planning is everything

Good luck