volatile to non volatile in 1756-L55 controller

realolman

I recently changed the board in a 1756-L55 controller so it would have non volatile memory

I removed a 1756 M13 A and replaced it with a 1756-M23A

At the time I thought I did it correctly, but I am not sure. If I look at properties of the controller it doesn't seem to have a non volatile memory and I am not sure that when I save a project, that it is being saved to non volatile memory..

As it stands now I have the new board in the controller and the machine functions... the revision is 12.23

I am not at all sure that it is using the nonvolatile memory... I can't disconect the battery right now... Do I have to do anything special to save the program to the non-volatile memory?

also, If I DO have to do something different than I have done, can I use the same program that I uploaded out of it before I installed the memory

thsnk you

Do I have to do anything special to save the program to the non-volatile memory?

[C]an I use the same program that I uploaded out of it before I installed the memory ?

Yes and Yes.

As of now, the controller is behaving like an ordinary CPU with battery-backed memory only.

Go to the Controller Properties window when online and you'll see a "Nonvolatile Memory" tab.

To store the user program to nonvolatile memory, you need to go to Program Mode and click the "Load/Store" button. RSLogix 5000 will disconnect while the controller performs its save to the nonvolatile memory module.

After you've done that Store procedure, the copy of the program and all the values in the tag database will be stored in the nonvolatile memory.

When that program is restored to RAM depends on which features you've selected; every time, only on corruption, or only on user command.

The 1756-L55 with nonvolatile M2x memory is not equivalent to the modern 1756-L7x with onboard nonvolatile memory + SD card removable memory. It will not automatically save the current program and tag values to the nonvolatile memory on every powerdown like the L7x does.

The program won't change at all; there is only one 1756-L55 controller model in RSLogix 5000, no matter which standard or nonvolatile memory module is installed.

If I do online edits, will they be in the non volatile? Or do I have to go through what you described before?

thank you