Vorne signs.

Tackdriver

Hello
Does anybody have any experience with Vorne signs?
I have some of these on one of my machines. They are configured for 0-10 V input, and they scale a displayed number according to this input.

The problem is that sometimes it will "freeze"; just stop working. Killing the power and repowering it solves the problem.

I suspect the sign would work better on 4-20mA but that is not an option on this drive.

I am providing the signal to it via Belden sheilded cable.
I tried grounding the sheild at the drive end, and this made matters WORSE!!

So now my next thought is to get a signal isolater/conditioner, and see if I can switch it over to 4-20. My hypothesis is noise on the input.

Can anybody see anything else I might be missing?

It's been about 12 years since I've seen that name, they were very unreliable then, sorry to hear that they have not changed, I'm sorry that I can not help you. And sorry that you you have been burdened with Vorne.

We have several older Vorne data displays. They are in harsh chemical washdown areas and have held up rather well. Their tech support is first rate, just give them a call. I had a display fail once and they shipped me a loaner overnight, no questions, while they repaired ours. At the time they seemed to do whatever it took to keep a customer satisfied.

Greg

It's been about 12 years since I've seen that name, they were very unreliable then, sorry to hear that they have not changed, I'm sorry that I can not help you. And sorry that you you have been burdened with Vorne.

I am sorry to hear that. I have had outstanding experience with Vorne's products, have been using them for 27 years now.

So now my next thought is to get a signal isolater/conditioner, and see if I can switch it over to 4-20. My hypothesis is noise on the input.

Sounds like something I would do. But as was mentioned earlier Vorne does have good tech support, in fact I know that one of the reasons that they don't like to use distributors is because they
think that distributors cannot properly support their product.
Plus they don't charge for tech support like other Companies and no you are not going to wait for a day for someone to call you back!

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your display. Many problems can be resolved via email. You can email Vorne at [email protected]. Please provide the complete Model number and serial number of your unit.

We have 4 of them, I had to install. Call Vorne help line, they are top notch service. They will step you through any 'fixes' they recommend. Sent me faxes, etc. of pinouts, what I needed to connect, etc. Earned my respect.

I too have had great success with Vorne display units. I would suspect the power supply as much (if not more) than the input signal as a possible cause of the display freezing up.

What model are you having problems with. How are you sending the signal ?

You should ground the shield to ground bar.....Earth.......

Good luck !