Waay off the subject....

shoelesscraig

This is not PLC related at all, but I knew that someone here would know...

My wife has a laptop she uses at work, gets her e-mail through Outlook. When she is at work she can send AND receive e-mail just fine. When she brings it home, and uses it on our home wireless network, she can ONLY receive it. She can't send anything at all. But, when she goes back to work, she can SEND again. Anyone know what might be the problem. I figure it's something to do with the sever settings, but I'm not sure what. Like I said, she can GET new e-mails without a problem. I didn't wanna go changing things on my own because I don't want to mess up her mail at work too. Any ideas?

This is a common problem with Mail Servers. It is thanks to all the spammers. Most Mail Servers will not relay E-Mail from outside of their Domain. To get around this when I was on the road alot, I set Outlook up to use the smtp server on the network I was on. SMTP is the Protocol that is used to send mail. So, when she is at home, you would have to set the smtp server to your ISP's Mail Server. The other option is for her to talk to the IT Department at her work to see if there is an alternate Server or Port she can use.

With my current company I can also use a Web Browser to access my E-Mail, it is somewhat limited compared to Outlook, but works fine. Her company may also have this option.

Stu......

With help from her IT dept. she could switch to using a VPN connection. This could also make server resources available at home, like drives and printers.

When out of the office I will remote in to my desktop and have full access. I use a simple Remote Desktop connection my IT guy has configured through a Linux box.

When that fails I use Outlook Web Access, an Exchange Server can be set up to provide this functionality. This will enable you to check email from a web browser on any computer.

Last edited:
Shes self employeed guys, no IT department!! But that's ok, I played with the settings and figured it out...works great now, shes just gotta change one little setting. No problem. Thanks for the help guys!