Was emailed a RS Logix 5000 program that is version 32.Need to change to 28.

Rob S.

Good Afternoon ,

I was emailed a RS Logix 5000 program that is version 32. I only have version 28 , on this computer here at the house. I can't open it . Is there a way I can convert it to version 28 , even if I cannot open it ?

Thanks so much ,

Unfortunately no. You can convert it back but you need to be able to open it to export it. Then you can import it back into 28. This also assumes its not using any features exclusive to 32. If so, you would have to figure out how to make those features work in 28.

Rob,

I take it from your message that you are not working on a valid Rockwell licence, else you would be able to download install files and update your system to V32?

He may not be working for a multi-million dollar company that can afford a Tech-Connect contract and can not download v32.

Or, as I have experienced, the computer installations are controlled by the company IT dep't and if they can't be convinced to install v32 it isn't going to be installed.

Rockwell software is pricey, but not that pricey.

I have worked for a company that would not pay $500 for Mitsubishi MS Works. They had to call in a programmer every time the PLC needed connected to to troubleshoot or update. (Something I could easily have done quickly, and the service calls over 2 years cost a lot more than the $500 purchase price)

Studio5000 is at least $3200, and the full edition (I luckily got bundled into a build) was $6500.

Ask the person who sent you the file to SaveAs the file to an L5K (not L5X).

This is an ASCII text file that you can edit in Notepad, and as JaxGTO said, if it doesn't have any V32-specific instructions/functions, will allow you to import it into V28.

In order to import it, you will have to change the version number and rev. stored in the L5K file, that's fairly easy to do -- create a dummy program in your V28 and export it to L5K to see what things SHOULD look like.

HTH

Unless you aren't allowed, Zip the program and if small enough post it here, I can do it for you. I don't have ver28 on this laptop, but can convert it to ver26 and when you open it with 28 it will convert automatically.

If it's too large share a link to it in OneDrive or Google Drive, or upload it to WeTransfer - select the Free option without signing up ("No Thanks" button), then Get a Link.

He may not be working for a multi-million dollar company that can afford a Tech-Connect contract and can not download v32.

Or, as I have experienced, the computer installations are controlled by the company IT dep't and if they can't be convinced to install v32 it isn't going to be installed.

I worked for a 5 Billion dollar company *Cough* Reynolds *Cough* that wouldn't buy it for the controls group. We also had to ask IT for admin rights for 24 hr to download as needed. Which Studio 5000 v30 was an 8 hr marathon at their restricted speeds. Not that that mattered as we all made ourselves admins when they did.

Thanks so much for your help , and the offer to convert it .I’m installing version 32 now . I need to upgrade our laptops and software anyway . So you say , you change the version in the L5K , in notepad ?

Thanks so much for your help , and the offer to convert it .I’m installing version 32 now . I need to upgrade our laptops and software anyway . So you say , you change the version in the L5K , in notepad ?

When you "save as" in LogixDesigner, you have the options of saving as ACD, L5K or L5X. An L5K file is a text file that can be opened in notepad, though I'd use Notepad ++ instead of the Windows notepad.

Since you are installing v32, you won't need to mess with this.

Rockwell software is pricey, but not that pricey.

I am guessing you do not work for yourself... go home tonight and tell your wife you need to spend 8k on some software so she needs to tighten up on the spending after she calms down tell her "its pricey, but not that pricey"

I am guessing you do not work for yourself... go home tonight and tell your wife you need to spend 8k on some software so she needs to tighten up on the spending after she calms down tell her "its pricey, but not that pricey"

It's expensive software, I was comparing literally to millions of dollars. Meaning you don't need to work for a multi-million dollar company to pull a profit. Toolkit or not, I could easily buy the software and still make money.