Way OT, but since magnetic fields seem to be "in" at the moment

Yup, that's it!

I'll be back down there in a couple of weeks, when they hope to have the first serious go at the 100 Tesla target. The 80 Tesla limit mentioned is for a single magnet, to hit 100 Tesla they first produce a basic field of 30+ Tesla in a large outer magnet for a period of a few hundred ms and then, when it's at its peak, pulse a small concentric coil inside the larger one to superimpose a further ~70 Tesla field on top of the basic 70 T field. This pulse will last for a maximum of about 50 ms, but until now fields of 100 T have only been achievable in self-destructing systems (Mission Impossible?) and the fields only lasted a few µs.

I love the final sentence in the article I linked to -
Scientists from laboratories and universities worldwide will be welcome to use the giant magnet without charge.
Well, if there's no charge, what have you been doing with all these big capacitors for the last few years?!?!

Regards

Ken

(... second thoughts...)

Or does it mean it's free so long as you don't want to actually switch it on?

QUOTE]It's the output end of one module of the world's largest capacitor bank (only discovered that tit-bit, myself, last week).[[/QUOTE]

Since the highlighted word should have been tidbit, maybe the process has other charges it provides, appears to be some subliminal thoughts being provoked.

I jes had to do this Roy, awesome project though.

After researching the word it does appear that it is titbit in the UK and tidbit in the US...just another word we had to do over and get it right.