Well I was having fun...

Davek0974

Until my new AB 1747-UIC cable failed :(

Not impressed, only a couple of weeks old, went to do an update and not recognised by windows any more, no LEDs flashing either.

Back to the seller.

Anyone know of a reliable source for a 1747-UIC?

Dave

I thought maybe AB would be the only source.

I don't know what your situation is, but I just upgraded to a WIN 7 computer, and mine didn't work.

I got on the tech support chat line ( I can't hear very well and last week I got connected to a guy in Poland that sounded like he was talking through a garden hose ) and they gave me a link that was different than all the links that pop up when you google it. I downloaded that and it worked again. And there is one thing about WIN 7 that I like... when it hooks up a USB device up to a driver, it tells you which COM port it's on right in a little pop up bubble . You don't have to go to Control panel > system >blah > blah > blah

I am on vacation so I don't have that link, but the "ordinary" drivers that I used before with XP for the 1747-UIC didn't work ...surely someone here will know something about it

Last edited:
Is it actually an Allen-Bradley 1747-UIC ? White plastic, RS232 and 485 ports, slider switch, A-B logo, made in India ?

That is the key... there are a lot of knock offs now, they look just like the AB one but no logo. One of the reasons we make our black is so the customers dont think they are buying a AB version

Dave the leds will not flash until its communicating with the device, make sure you plug in the cable long before you start RSLinx... W7 will look for driver updates every time you plug in the cable, so check your device manager and make sure your cable shows up before you start Linx

Also make sure you are using a C13 cable or straight through cable, if you use a cross over cable you will smoke the UIC, the 5/0x has 24vdc on the RJ45 port, this is one reason we make ours with a C13 cable built in

Real AB UIC http://www.ebay.com/itm/281525085629 with AB LOGO

Fake AB UIC http://www.ebay.com/itm/181599802627 NO AB LOGO

This is a clone, black box with built in leads, two LEDs, one usually lights as soon as it's plugged in the usb, the other flashes when linx gets going.

Plug in now and get the usb device faulty message.

The dealer is shipping another and this one has gone back, can't argue with that I guess.

Hopefully just a duff one.