What are we gonna do?

In denmark ya'll get free health care (?) while we basically are expected to pay for all of our's individually. or do with out. one bout with cancer can easily cost several hundreds of thousands of dollars.

... and precisely that is one of the things we get for our tax dollars - free health care for all (at the point of use).

CNG, Ethanol, electricity, there are numerous options. It's going to be market driven. When the demand for natural gas powered vehicles increases because they will cost 1/4 to operate compared to gasoline...it will happen...probably faster than most people think.

Humans will find a way to continue to travel, make stuff, provide food shelter and clothing with or without oil.

Sure, there are obstacles, there always have been, but I am not worried. Where there's a will there's a way, and money creates the will. The market will solve these problems, perhaps gradually, but eventually.

I say see this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

No matter how one decides to look at it, the US GDP per capita is not "MUCH higher" than Denmarks.
I see that but what good does it do to live in Denmark and make extra money if it doesn't buy you much ( increase your standard of living ). It is kind of like comparing a $100,000 salary in the Midwest here to $100 in San Francisco or worse, New York city. Now you can see why I don't like taxes.
Taxes are bad enough here. I don't see how you can put up with the taxes in Denmark.

Here in the US we recently had elections and a census. As it turns out there will be a redistribution of seats in the house of representative among the states. The low tax states picked up seats and the high tax states lost seats because people vote with their feet and their wallet books. You aren't going to convince many here that raising taxes to just reduced demand is a good idea.

JesperMP, you have to understand that the attitude toward taxes is different here. My view may be a little more libertarian than most but the average American does not like big government. The recent elections show it.

Taxes are bad enough here. I don't see how you can put up with the taxes in Denmark.
Universal healthcare. Almost free kindergartens. Universal education to university level. And much more.
Like canada, only more so.

JesperMP, you have to understand that the attitude toward taxes is different here. My view may be a little more libertarian than most but the average American does not like big government.
I know.

I dont want to derail this to a discussion about which country is better.
I just want to say that saving energy is relatively easy with todays technology. Taxing energy is a tool for the government to let market and competition do the work of achieving the energy savings.

GDP is comical thing.
If we smelt one car, GDP grows up but we have one car less.
Also, if we spend (waste) more oil, GDP growing more. :unsure:

Finnish Coverment even gives mony to studends in university! Ps. Finland is the Best says NewsWeek!

Have always thought that education should be free or at least taxpayer funded. Pay an additional tax for life of say .1% for every quarter attended when you quit or graduate. Taxpayer supported but paid back by those that benefit - maybe even self supporting??

Somewhere or other I read that GI Bill between WWII and Korea paid for itself when you allowed for increased income and resulting tax revenue.

Dan Bentler

Most Americans that pay taxes do not like taxes
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70K7J320110121
Newsweek reporters will have credibility only after they have run a business.

Have always thought that education should be free or at least taxpayer funded.
Do you want to pay taxes to send someone to school to get a degree in theology, basketing weaving, or band? That is nuts. There must be a return on investment.
Government loans I can see but be hard a$$ed about collecting. You don't want to pay for 5 years of college to get a degree that pays nothing.

Most Americans that pay taxes do not like taxes
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70K7J320110121
Newsweek reporters will have credibility only after they have run a business.

Do you want to pay taxes to send someone to school to get a degree in theology, basketing weaving, or band? That is nuts. There must be a return on investment.
Government loans I can see but be hard a$$ed about collecting. You don't want to pay for 5 years of college to get a degree that pays nothing.

Peter
Read the next 3 sentances. I am not proposing a free lunch.
"Pay an additional tax for life of say .1% for every quarter attended when you quit or graduate. Taxpayer supported but paid back by those that benefit - maybe even self supporting??

Somewhere or other I read that GI Bill between WWII and Korea paid for itself when you allowed for increased income and resulting tax revenue."

Yes taxpayer would support but would get repaid.
Dan Bentler

I'm with Peter. I want to earn my own way through hard work like smelting cars without the CON-gress (the opposite of PRO-gress) taking a cut every time real property changes hands.

They're running a gigantic complicated p o k e r parlor already, how 'bout a split tax. Personal income tax only. No corporate taxes. Tax citizens once, accurately and no filing unless you screw up by withholding incorrectly from your supplemental incomes like gambling profits or stock trading account. One tax, no separate FICA, and all that other b.s.

Make it 1% for the first 10,000 you earn and then 5% for until your YTD earnings >=$40,000, then take 25% after that. No dependent susidies, mortgage bubbles or all that other complicated carp. Have the 1% rate kick in Oct.1 so everybody middle class and up gets a 20 to 24% pay raise right before the fall holidays.