What are we gonna do?

Consumption tax as a replacement for income tax is even simpler...no problem at all with that...

On the subject of energy:

...Humans will find a way to continue to travel, make stuff, provide food shelter and clothing with or without oil.

Sure, there are obstacles, there always have been, but I am not worried. Where there's a will there's a way, and money creates the will. The market will solve these problems, perhaps gradually, but eventually.

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJbrieftechn.pdf
http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/?p=360

PiEaCe!

I'm with Peter. I want to earn my own way through hard work like smelting cars without the CON-gress (the opposite of PRO-gress) taking a cut every time real property changes hands.

They're running a gigantic complicated p o k e r parlor already, how 'bout a split tax. Personal income tax only. No corporate taxes. Tax citizens once, accurately and no filing unless you screw up by withholding incorrectly from your supplemental incomes like gambling profits or stock trading account. One tax, no separate FICA, and all that other b.s.

Make it 1% for the first 10,000 you earn and then 5% for until your YTD earnings >=$40,000, then take 25% after that. No dependent susidies, mortgage bubbles or all that other complicated carp. Have the 1% rate kick in Oct.1 so everybody middle class and up gets a 20 to 24% pay raise right before the fall holidays.

Well nuts Okie you want to go thru school the hard way I guess. OK with me.

I do agree that there should be only one income tax which in theory is your share of government services. I think a flat 10% should do for everyone to make it simple. No exemptions no exceptions including 10% of your welfare check. Now what are we gonna do with all them poor unemployed IRS people and accountants and book printer that print the IRS how to books?

Well nuts Okie you want to go thru school the hard way I guess. OK with me.

I do agree that there should be only one income tax which in theory is your share of government services. I think a flat 10% should do for everyone to make it simple. No exemptions no exceptions including 10% of your welfare check. Now what are we gonna do with all them poor unemployed IRS people and accountants and book printer that print the IRS how to books?

Phase them out. Fire them all gradually. I am sure they will able happier as producers, rather than paper pushers.

What welfare check? That should be privatized and handled by volunteer organizations who should be able to remain tax free entities with the exception of their payroll recipients.

10% is too much if you are below the poverty line. I am sorry, but I have been there, it might be the difference between self sustainance and going hungry or begging. The poor are going to gritch loud enough over having to pay 1% and not get paid to have kids. But the middle class, the 40k a year plumber and craftsman and programmer and artist will get a huge break and can prop up the rest of the economy pronto at 10% flat. People like most of us, under 6 figures, will have something to complain about when the rate changes mid year, but that is a good thing...Americans need conflict...just look at the success of Windows for evidence.