What Can I use to replace Obsolete Ultra100

nehpets

I'm looking for some advice and direction from those in the know from across the pond.

We have some dated machines and consequently some dated drive equipment, namely SLC5/04 32k processors driving Ultra100 servo drives via DeviceNet.

I'm Looking to upgrade but with as little pain as possible, obviously this is going to cost quite a considerable sum, so I need to keep an eye on my budget.

My first thought was ultra3000's but our local sales rep. reckons these have a very short timeline before being discontinued.

The only other equipment I can see would be Kinetix350's but as these use Ethernet and explicit messaging this would mean, at least, using a SLC5/05 (which is to be discontinued) or a contrologix processor (megabucks).

Any advice, direction or correction would seriously be appreciated.

steve

Did a job a few months ago where we replaced 2 U100 on Dnet and a PLC5 with 2 IMCS cards driving 2 Siemens servo drives.
We replaced the 2 U100's with K350's and the Siemens drives and motors with K6500's and MPL motors.
The PLC5 was replaced with a ControlLogix processor.
If you don't need the grunt of a CLX you could use one of the new CompacLogix and still use the SLC rack and replace the processors with a 1747-AENTR, as long as you only want to use normal IO in the SLC rack.

Alan

My instinct is to go with Kinetix 300 drives and one of the new-platform midrange CompactLogix controllers.

Kinetix 300 are the most like the old Ultra 100 and Ultra 3000 on DeviceNet; they have preloaded index positions and are commanded using an ordinary I/O assembly.

The Kinetix 350 drives use the Rockwell Automation CIP Motion feature; they are actual Logix 5000 series motion axes, with all the co-ordinated motion features and instructions in the ControlLogix family. You need a ControlLogix or one of the CompactLogix with the "M" option to run CIP Motion.

Don't be tempted to combine Kinetix 350 with MicroLogix or SLC-5/05: that's not how they work.

You can use Kinetix 300 with MicroLogix 1400 or SLC-5/05 but it's not nearly as easy as it would be with CompactLogix. I've done it.

Get the CompactLogix Selection Guide (1769-SG001) and browse through it to see which of the 1769-L1x, L2x, or L3x controllers is right for you.

Hi

I have just replaced a servo with a 5500 and one of te new compact logix processors that ken has spoke about. I have to say it was very easy to set up to use. just make sure the compact logix is ver 21 as the 5500 will not work with ver 20 and also that the processor has an M for motion in the part number as ken said.
This also now has a digital encoder which means only one cable to the motor.
There is also a card that you could slot into where you current slc processor is and leave all the cards in the slc rack as they are.
Two great points of this are very easy to take a step back and also saves in wiring .

Donnchadh

sorry for delay in replying,

After consultation with our local sales rep. he suggests the 5500's with compactlogix as has been suggested. However due to physical restraints within the cabinet, we have decided to go with the kinetix 350's and compactlogix.

thanks for everyone's input.

Steve

As a reminder: Kinetix 300 is an indexing drive, and Kinetix 350 is a CIP Motion drive.

You need to have one of the CompactLogix with an "M" on the part number, like 1769-L18ERM, to do CIP Motion.

The CompactLogix without the "M", like the 1769-L18ER, don't support CIP Motion.

Noted, thanks

I'm Having a demo kit on loan with twin drives & motors running with a compactlogix so hopefully I can get a feel of it before we commit.

Steve