What PLC would like to try next?

What PLC brand would you like to try out?

• Allen Bradley

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Aromat

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Automation Direct

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Entertron

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • GE Fanuc

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Horner or Integrated Display PLC

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • IDEC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keyance

• Moeller PLC's

• Mitsubishi

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Omron

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • OPTO 22

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Triangle Research

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Smart Relays (Any brand)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • OTHER

Votes: 9 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Rockwell ??

David Torrens said:
I voted for "Other"... I mean Rockwell. Recently a company said that they would propose to use Rockwell PLCs... Anyone tried them?

Rockwell Automation is Allen Bradley and Allen Bradley is listed.

ROCKWELL

Normally when you think of Rockwell, you think of AB.

When I got my first exposure to "another brand" of plc beyond AB (8 years of AB), it was AutoMax (Reliance), as in the drives, which is also a Rockwell division. I thought they were about the neatest thing at the time (1996). Programming was a snap. Two weeks later I was sent to GE Fanuc school, and I've been a big fan of them ever since.

I don't know how much they've changed, but at the time I thought the Reliance AutoMax units were the Cadillac of PLCs.

Since they are seldom mentioned, and I only had 15 spots, they would be considered an "other".

I went from the manufacturers list in "Learn PLCs", not sure how I missed Siemans, perhaps subconscious effort to forget they exist.

What this country needs is a good $5.00 programming software.

regards.....casey

Last edited:
Rsdoran, are you sure it supports 6 quadrature encoders?
Hard to believe.

Eric, I never complained about p.8 for ML1500.
But I mistakenly declared missing p.9 for it.

I voted for AD as its very much(the way I see it) similar to siemens S7200 plcs (in a programming manner)which I am familiar with,

I dont know about using any thing else but siemens, especialy s7 200 plcs cause they just got every thing I need built in,PID,Math,high speed outputs(as Ron pointed),not to forget the user friendly software microwin...hell I can program it while my eyes are closed ..lol :D

never played with AB ..I don't feel confortable with them , downloaded the demo once, I didnt like it alot...after all its me who choose the PLC I wanna use "NOT THE CUSTOMER".

I would like to mess around with automation_direct when I have the chance...

That link is for the S7-200 manual, on page 118 it states the S7-224, 224XP, and 226 support six high speed counters, some as high as 200khz. Page 119 discusses types including A/B quadrature

The S7-200 also has a Position module and a Profibus module (many absolute encoders can use Profibus). It also has Internet, Ethernet, Modem and AS-i interface modules.

The only thing I see missing is a built in secondary port (option) but with the network capabilties that shouldnt be a problem.

If your needs exceed what the S7-200 will do then look at the S7-300, it has counter modules, comm modules (including serial), analog, and more.

This link will take you to all the S7 manuals, documents etc: http://www4.ad.siemens.de/-snm-0135...view=4000003&viewLevel=6&wttree=cs&jumpto=227

To tell the truth I used the S7-200's once on a project just to control diverter rams on a packing conveyor line, never realized they actually had that much capability until Sergei made his list. I was originally thinking about the S7-300 but remembered the S7-200 had options too so rechecked the manual.

Last edited:
AD

Hi
I voted for AD ,I usually use Schneider Electric and AB PLC's.But in the past few years i used Mitsubishi ,Hitachi,LG .
AD is a quite knew to the Egyptian market and i really want to try it.
I know that Siemens also is a very powerful ,i hope i could try it soon also.Br

Sergei
I am not sure because the link does not work but if Ron is referring to the Omron CJ1, you can just add high speed counter cards. There are 2 counters on each card. They are special cards and I believe the total number of these, including analogues etc etc, is 80 cards.

Speed and capability depend on the processor you select. The PLC is rackless and mounts on a DIN rail. I have never used the HSC cards as I normally do not require that type of unit for my work so cannot really comment further.

Some of the CPUs have inbuilt I/O which accounts for the first 2 counters.

Eric Nelson said:
I'll let 'Prince Mike' make the sales pitch recommending a different brand that may better suit your wishes.. ;)

Ok so I've tried a blue eyed blonde, a green eyed burnette, a brown eyed brunette, a brown eyed blonde,....but never tried out a blue eyed brunette. So I guess my choice would be just that..blue eyed brunette.

OR...a true blue eyed red head like Julianne Moore.. Did you see her in Boogie Nights?? Wow!!! :eek:

Now as far as PLCs go... I'm really happy and not in the market. But if a nucular bomb were to land on Cummings GA, then I'd go knocking on Steven Luft's (Entertron) door first.

IMHO..... Mike.

Last edited:
Rsdoran, I verified the S7-200 specs for the main unit high-speed inputs.
It supports only two quadrature encoders, exactly as Mitsubishi FX1N/FX2N and AB Micrologix 1500.
By interrupt capabilities the FX2N is the best among them (6 inputs available for interrupts, timer and HSC interrupts).
The networking, however, looks much more developed for Siemens.
Can you give me a rough idea of software cost for S7-200?
Does the same software support -300 and -400?

i would choose AB , since i'm beginner and i'm only used sharp, mitsubishi, and omron mostly.
also b'coz u guys talk about it so much.

i'm curious enough....

thanks.

It appears that I am the only one so far for vote for the Horner unit. Very good concept if they have got it right and the software is bloody good.

Did not consider many of the brands mentioned due to lousy software. Have used many of them.

Sergei Troizky said:
Rsdoran, I verified the S7-200 specs for the main unit high-speed inputs.
It supports only two quadrature encoders, exactly as Mitsubishi FX1N/FX2N and AB Micrologix 1500.
By interrupt capabilities the FX2N is the best among them (6 inputs available for interrupts, timer and HSC interrupts).
The networking, however, looks much more developed for Siemens.
Can you give me a rough idea of software cost for S7-200?
Does the same software support -300 and -400?

S7-200 does not work with 300/400. It's much more reasonable and a breeze to program. I think Siemens bought this from an American company years ago so it's not as unusual as 300/400. Nice little unit actually.

I will have to vote for Entertron

I am a little surprised at the results, but overall, I think it was much as I expected.

As elevmike stated
Now as far as PLCs go... I'm really happy and not in the market. But if a nucular bomb were to land on Cummings GA, then I'd go knocking on Steven Luft's (Entertron) door first.

This seems to echo the thoughts of quite a few members that I have run across this year, most of whom haven't posted here.

I have to say, I did expect to see Entertron a little higher. While I haven't had any hands on experience with Entertron hardware, it is the one I want to try. I have recommended it to several people, and haven't gotten any complints back. I am surpised that I hadn't heard about them years ago, I started with plc's in 1988, and they've been around sine before '80.

I like these Entertron features:

1). Relay Output Ratings - 7 and 8 amps

2). Tansistor Output Ratings - 2 amps

3). Longer Warranty - 6 and 7 years

4). Offline Run Simulator - This is ideal for debugging at home, or for students who don't have a plc. I've had several people comment to me they like this feature.

5). FREE Software (Free Free Free)

6). Resonably priced

7). Master Control Relay feature for blocks

8). A lot of the drum sequencer and other functions.

9). FREE (Good) Tech Support - No membership Dues (Did I mention FREE?)

As I have stated before, if we are ever able to reopen the OEM shop, it will use Entertron. There is a lot of repetitious programs there, for duplex pumps, diesel engine autostart, alarm sequencers, tire building machines, tire presses, etc. There is no need for the customer to get into the program.

Since I seldom have done anything proprietory, the Entertron program protection feature is not something I need, but if I built machinery, that might be a different story. I will say I was pretty upset in the tire plant days when I couldn't get into the "Hummer" tire balancer program, and had to buy to more sixnet plc's ($5,000) to see if the problem was the plc or ??? Never did figure it out, the two new boards never worked, and eventually both old ones did.

I had wanted to try Keyance, but after getting the programming guide books, and realizing that you write the rungs backwards, I changes my mind.

Also, I thought AB and Omron would be a little lower. Also, would have thought AD to be a bit lower, 'cause everyone tried them once. Not much following for GE Fanuc. Overall, I guess I would say pretty representative.

Thanks to all y'all.....casey

For those who are interested, here is the Entertron "LINK"

Last edited: